1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Types of work that are not typical

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is another one of those threads which could bring in some stereotyping like the "You know you're gay when ...", but which occupations do you think that GLBT folks might be represented in a higher than statistically average manner? We all know there are exceptions, such as male football players and others, but here's a handful and I'm limiting this to male and female only.

Men:
    1. hair stylist
    2. librarian
    3. clothing designer
    4. interior designer
    5. children's book author and illustrator

Women:
    1. law enforcement
    2. firefighting
    3. public health
    4. nursing
    5. professional sports

This is what I've seen and what people mention. As for nurses, a lot of people who are in some form of health care have made this comment to me, so my hearing this is sort of cumulative. Note that marital status is a protected class within only in the state of Indiana, so they must have done that to ensure that male teachers can access teaching jobs, probably more so in the primaries, so there must have been some flak over this occupation, too.

Any adds, deletes, or discussion?

2. LD579

I'd say that 3, 4, and 5 for women are actually not uncommon. Many nurses are women, and that's a shame because men can be excellent nurses just as how women can be excellent nurses. Also, there are tons of professional sports that women are in.

To post #4: I see a lot of women who are crossing guards and I see many guys who have their own cooking show, actually. Maybe... it's 'different' in Canada?

#2 LD579, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. Sarcastic Luck

I've always seen a great deal of female nurses and very few male nurses.

4. Candace

I would add to the list: guys who have their own cooking show (Food Network/Cooking Channel), and female construction workers/crossing guards.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. However, the thread was about above average representation of GLBT folks, and I've been told there are a fair number of lesbian/bi nurses. I worked in hospitals all during college. I could sort of see it, now that I'm more attuned to scanning the environment around me.

Also, every single male nurse I've personally know, and I haven't know that many since they are as you say sort of rare, are straight to my knowledge. They went into it because it's a stable way to make a living and in some cases because they didn't want to go through medical school.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The stereotypical flamer I think of in the workplace is Franc, with the titular job from The Wedding Planner. He gets all worked up over the tiniest details of weddings. That was a great movie. :grin:

As for lesbians, I think of Jane Lynch's character in Wreck-It Ralph. She's the space-marine NCO who's tough as nails and doesn't take anybody's bellyaching. Not that she's a *realistic* example (or accurate one as she hooks up with a guy), but the same can apply for women in the real military. As a matter of fact, out of the handful of lesbians I know, one considered the service and another actually joined up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a vicarious Bridezilla.