1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beards?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bowtiesandstuff, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was wondering what every ones views are on beards and by beards I mean the fake boyfriend/girlfriend to hide someones sexual orientation not the facial hair kind.
    Is anyone so deep in the closet they have a beard and if you had a friend that wanted you to be their's would you do it?

2. BornInTexas

"I am so excited! Someone made a topic about faci- ... oh." <--- My reaction

I've never had a 'beard'. However, in 10th grade, before I told anyone, I considered 'growing a beard' because of the rumors spreading around the school.... >_<

I'm not sure where I stand on being someone else's beard. It would be really awkward for me, since I am already out to a couple people, and it would be awkward for my friends as well. Explaining it would not go over well.

3. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I guess it doesn't work when someone is already out. You either have to be two closeted friends or a really good straight friend.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some movie stars have or have had "beards" to keep their box office potential going.

I thought this was about facial hair, too. I generally don't like facial hair, but sometimes the closely trimmed dark beard on a thinner studious type can look good.

I often wonder what's going through the head of someone who has good reason to believe they are a "beard."

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's sort of immoral to make somebody a beard unless you truly do feel for them in some respect.

I wonder about the people who ARE the beard, though. If they love and support their closeted partner, wouldn't they want them to be comfortable and come out in their own terms? It can be a very complex issue.

6. Candace

I personally don't like beards, but I think most people want to go for the "clean cut" look. People somehow associate beards with one being a hobo, lack of hygiene, etc.

7. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess my husband is acting as a beard for me. Does this apply only to men?

Anyway, we live in a conservative area. We are going to stay married for a while. Pure convenience, but it will be nice to be able to point and say...look...husband. Don't judge me!

We are worried about the kids being effected by my coming out.

8. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I did this to a couple girls, and I still regret it. I feel like I wasted a lot of their time.

9. FruitFly

If I genuinely thought of someone as a friend and the friendship was strong enough I'd have no problem acting as their beard for a short period of time, but I would hope that in such a situation I would be encouraging them to get to a place mentally where they no longer needed a beard.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An interview with Gareth Thomas said that he and his wife stayed together despite her knowing because they had gotten used to each other over time, but the time came to call it quits. There is no right answer. The spouse has a stake in it as well.