1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomorrow we find out...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jun 23, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomorrow we find out how the Supreme Court rules on gay marriage. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Steven Breyer, and Elena Kagan will more than likely support a broad ruling that would result in legal gay marriage everywhere in the USA. Sonya Sotomayor from the way she talked about it in the arguments may not support a broad ruling, however she may join the liberal side of the court. Conservative Chief Justice John Roberts seemed open to ruling in favor of marriage equality, and so did Anthony Kennedy, long considered the swing vote. Kennedy has a history of supporting gay rights in his decisions, but as we found out in the Obamacare ruling, he's still unpredictable.

2. FreeFlow9917

I can't wait to see

3. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I cannot wait!!! I sure hope they make the right choice.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I might die of suspense! :3

5. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

OMG can't wait!

6. Candace

A really good cliffhanger indeed. I'm on the edge of my seat and eager to see what happens.

7. justjade

*fingers crossed, biting lip*

The suspense is fucking killing me! I can't wait! (&&&)

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I wouldn't count on anything special. You're all Going to be very disappointed.

9. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

mmkay. The rulings that MIGHT be presented tomorrow are far less powerful than you might think. First, DOMA being shot down would allow gay marriages to be recognized at the federal level, but it wouldn't force states or territories to perform them.

The second case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, which challenges California's Proposition 8, has a lot of potential outcomes. Yes, it is possible that the court will rule that gay marriage must be legal nationally, but having read the transcript from the oral arguments, the justices didn't seem very inclined to give us that kind of victory. A less satisfying, though more interesting ruling would be that you can't take away gay marriage once you grant it. This would legalize gay marriage in California, and secure it wherever else it has been granted. Also possible, the court may rule that the concept of civil unions is unconstitutional because it is separate but equal, and therefore any states with civil unions would have to allow gay marriage while other states would not. This one is really stupid, if you ask me, and would probably cause a lot of states to move backwards in terms of LGBT rights, by voting to disallow gay marriage AND civil unions. It's also possible the court will rule that the law was constitutional, which would make me very sad...

But no matter how you cut it, there will still be battles to be fought. It won't be over.

10. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

Tomorrow, no matter what ruling... Everything changes

11. AlamoCity

I think for the Court, they are trying to deliver the last big four cases (DOMA, Prop 8, affirmative action, Voting Rights Act) in a single swoop akin to ripping a Band-Aid.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welp...I know what'll be all over Facebook tomorrow and what my parents will talk about tomorrow. I hope they make the right decision. However, for Texas, it's gonna be a hell of a fight because it's in our state constitution. But the supremacy clause will take care of that one. I think for once, I'm actually looking forward to reading the news :grin:

I just don't know why this is an issue. I was writing a paper for my college government class and to my surprise, Republicans don't even see this as an issue anymore. It just an issue that can easily get politicized. I forget where I read this, but I think it was from a credible source. I'll check back in with the source.

EDIT: Heh, just realized this post was my 69th post hehe. I apologize for this immature remark.

13. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Good luck yanks! I really hope it will all work out just FINE.

#13 Ardelia, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  14. The username

Quit being such a pessimist and let us have our hope. You never know.

15. starfish

I'm not expecting a ruling tomorrow. I figure it will end of next week.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be watching CNN all day looking for a ruling. Hope they make the right choice.

17. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    I'm thinking that if the United States, a country whose gay politics is almost a fundamental part of the manifesto (or so it seems to outsiders), votes for universal gay marriage, we are firmly on the right track. Good luck tomorrow, Murricans! :slight_smile:

18. AlamoCity

I really hoped that DOMA would have been argued on the Full Faith and Credit Clause, which was covered in Section 2, rather than Section 3. If the case been argued, invalidating this would have essentially made same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states by allowing those couples wedded elsewhere to have their marriages recognized even by jurisdictions where the performance of such marriage was prohibited by law.

Maybe that's because I'm from Texas and I see a long fight ahead if the case is not decided at the federal level.

19. yidnah87

If this happens, then Illinois will suddenly get gay marriage after all those months of the state House doing nothing. That would be too funny. It's like the SCOTUS would say "Well, it looks like the IL govt is too inept to legalize gay marriage, so we'll do it for them." :grin:

Also, we wouldn't have to worry about IL moving "backward". The public here generally supports marriage equality according to polls, and if the legislature is too inept to move "forward", I guess they're too inept to move "backward". :grin:

In any event, I'm looking forward to some type of good news this week.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's possible that Kennedy will support a narrow decision in the DOMA case (i.e. to file a concurring opinion stating that it's unconstitutional not because marriage equality is a constitutional requirement per the Equal Protection Clause or the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, but rather that the power to define marriage is not a specifically granted Article One power.)

The Court, unfortunately, will probably not decide that laws discriminating against LGBT Americans should be subject to strict scrutiny. That's what really needs to happen, regardless of the particulars of the cases.