1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capital punishment

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mickey1101, Jun 23, 2013.

1. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do you feel about the use of physical pain for discipline? Would you use it? How did it effect you?

I feel that although it does work not everyone is capable of administering it correctly. In my experience it verged on out right abuse until my mom found she shouldn't punish us that way because she would harm us. So we don't do that anymore.

2. Amerigo

do you mean corporal punishment?

3. Ridiculous

Capital punishment is the death penalty.
    Corporal punishment is infliction of physical pain.

I think the case has to be very extreme for corporal punishment to be justified - e.g. they are endangering themselves and inflicting pain is the only way to get control.

If you have to use violence for general discipline then you have obviously done something very wrong.

4. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah how do you change it:confused:

5. Candace

Considering how there were a LOT of bratty kids in my high school...bring it BACK, please. I think parents and teachers are too soft on kids today, to be honest.

I'd say stick out your hand and get slapped with a ruler. That's Catholic style.

6. Amerigo

don't worry (i'm not sure how to change it)

How do you feel about the use of physical pain for discipline?

i'm glad my parents beat me, i don't view it as abuse since it was used when necessary. at times it got a little carried away, but i guess the overall love i received from those two people overrides any smacks et al. i received when young. it soon becomes ineffective when the child reaches a certain age anyway. that's not to say i do not think of those children who grew up in physically abusive homes, still i believe corporal punishment or not, abusive parents will abuse regardless of it's legality.

Would you use it?

yes, it taught me not to be a d1ck. i do not agree with said subject's use in schools, however - i think that's lazy.

How did it effect you?

physical pain subsides, i wish i could say the same for emotional side-effects. like i said, someone will be abusive if they want to (not trying to get into the free will debate here), and whilst my mother's efforts in keeping me in line were not in vain, her choice of words were much more accountable for various self-esteem related issues i live with now.

#6 Amerigo, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  7. catatonie

It's the choice weak people make when they don't raise their children correctly.
    Got my ass beat all the time by my mom's husband, it didn't do anything for me but teach me how to flinch and not get caught.
    Everyone I know who got hit growing up, including my sister, her husband, my partner and more than a few of my friends are all adamantly against ever hitting their kids, so I guess it taught us how not to treat children, too.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the times kids don't respond to reason, you have to use the stick*. Life isn't sunshine and roses, and neither should discipline be deceptively soft.

That doesn't mean honest-to-goodness child abuse (*anything involving actual sticks) is okay, but a smack on the mouth for back-talk or a spanking for deliberate bad behavior has done a lot of good. I've actually considered how I'd deal with misbehaving kids if I ever had one. It would be only as much harshness as necessary to get them to obey, followed by a sincere talking-to to explain what happened and why. I think that's the best way for them to learn to eventually govern themselves. :slight_smile:

9. MerBear

Discipline ....on kids? I dont agree with it. Spanking or anything.
    I was 'disciplined' as a kid...and still am...Do i learn my lesson? no....simple as that.

I got whipped with a belt, I've gotten kicked, i've been slapped, i've been pushed .....i've been spanked.....

It didn't work. I learn my lesson on my own. I dont need my parent to use physical discipline on me to learn my lesson. It makes me hate my dad more.

If we thinks, i'll thank him some day for disciplining me the way he did, he's out of his fucking mind because I dont want to be in the same house as him

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have to hit your child to get your point across, you have already failed to prove that you can use discipline or reason affectively, unless they actually endangered someone else. At least in my opinion.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What... The unreal fuck... Corporal punishment is evil.

12. Amerigo

evil is a strong word

13. Candace

Agreed....but we're told that yelling at a child is wrong as well. So where do we draw the line between "punishing them" and making sure they're not bratty and act out.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm known for using strong words.

15. Envira

I completely disagree with corporal punishment. I mean, this is gonna sound lame, but there are other ways to resolve issues. I don't think it's okay for parents or family members to abuse their children, etc. I mean, it may not necessarily count as abuse, but I would still count it as harm. I think words are way more effective. Hands down.

16. Amerigo

i guess all we can do is smack 'em and hope for the best! but really, above is true, it's difficult being a parent. i guess it all comes down to application.

17. catatonie

here's kind of a novel idea (not really)
    what if parents, instead of giving knee jerk reactions to their child's "bad" actions, they figured out why the other human (because kids are people and you probably wouldn't hit your friend in the mouth/across the ass for being grouchy) was acting out, and addressed that more appropriately?
    Children need structure and an understanding that they're not going to be on their best behaviour all the time due to a variety of reasons (too much energy, not enough sleep, real emotions since they have those too, etc). If they're pulling their classmate's hair they need to have a talk about empathy on a level they can understand, not someone doing exactly to them what they're phyiscally "punished" for.

18. Yea fuck corporal punishment. My parents raised me without it and I will follow. Let's discipline our children in a non-barbaric way please.

Ha!

19. Amerigo

i also like to live dangerously.

20. justjade

I was spanked a lot as a kid. However, along with that, I was also physically abused, so the lines became kind of blurred between punishment and just taking stuff out on people. I think spanking can work, but I don't think it should be overdone. I think it's more productive to teach kids about the consequences of the things they do wrong using other methods. Reason with kids. Communicate with them. Teach them the value of respecting others and being respected in return. I think that does a lot more than just hitting them. You can withdraw things from kids as a form of punishment, but never withdraw your love.