1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinsey Scale

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randy, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so I took Human Sexuality two semesters ago while I was taking 18 hours. I tended to sleep in class and one day we viewed the Kinsey Scale. I was really tired so naturally I took a nap. When I woke up, I was confused as hell. The night before the test, I reviewed the Kinsey Scale. Only problem is, I took a glance back at what it is just now it got confused by the descriptors associated with 1-6. Could someone go into more detail as to what the descriptors mean in layman terms? I am not a very smart man and got confused.

2. LD579

It's actually a scale from 0-6.

0 is exclusively sexually attracted to the opposite sex. 6 is exclusively attracted to the same sex. 3 is equally attracted to both sexes. 1, 2, 4, and 5 have varying degrees of attraction to the same and opposite sex. I'm sure you can deduce what those numbers mean.

There's also 'x' which is asexual.

There are problems with the Kinsey scale, but I think it's a nice thing to have around for some.

Here, you can look here for more info, as well as to Google.

Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Candace

What he said, but 4 (as you said) is basically almost bisexual, but you lean towards the same sex (if giving the option).

4. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

These descriptors? If this is what you're after, yeah, I can explain if you need.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, those are exactly what I'm after. I read those and my brain got confused. I scored myself as a 4 because that's what I saw myself as based on what my brain interpreted.

6. Martjain

On a strict sense, the Kinsey scale evaluates sexual behaviour on a person, not sexual orientation. On most cases sexual behaviour is a reflection of orientation, but not always.

0. Means the subject has had only sexual encounters with only the opposite sex.
    1. Means the subject has had overall sexual encounters with the opposite sex, but also a few with the same sex, although these were only incidental.
    2. Means the subject has had sexual encounters with both sexes, more often with the opposite sex, but those with the same sex were more than incidental.
    3. Means that the subject has had sexual encounters with both sexes on the same level, or equally often.
    4. Means the subject has had sexual encounters with both sexes, more often with the same sex, but those with the opposite sex were more than incidental.
    5. Means the subject has had overall sexual encounters with the same sex, but also a few with the opposite sex, although these were only incidental.
    6. Means the subject has had only sexual encounters with only the same sex.
    X Means the subject hasn't had any sexual encounters.

If you got any more questions, ask away.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Hmm, that would make me a zero. Not very useful for limited experience I suppose if desires are notwithstanding. :/

That's less a measure of orientation than sexual accomplishment lol.

8. Martjain

Yeah I know, that would make me an X haha, and I'm definitely not asexual.

9. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to call myself a 4.5 'cause I didn't want to choose whether I was more bi than gay, haha. I think it's a good scale, but if you put too much weight to it it can get pretty confusing.

Martjain's got the official version, I think - the sort of weird thing about the Kinsey scale is some people use it to describe attraction, while others use it to describe behavior. If you're talking attraction, 1 would be heterosexual with occasional exceptions, 2 would be mostly heterosexual with a fairly strong leaning toward the same sex as well, 3 would mean the attractions are equal, 4 would be mostly homosexual but still with attraction to the opposite sex, 5 would be you're gay but would go for Emma Watson etc etc etc.

If you want a more detailed version to drive yourself absolutely anal, there's also the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid! Klein Sexual Orientation Grid - Online Quiz - Young Southampton lawls.

That was long. Happy trails, bro.

PS: I'd be an X, too. Gay virgins FTW

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not putting too much weight on it. Like I said, I learned it in a college lecture class and I'm done with that class. It just confused my brain when I was reading the more or less incidentally stuff in the descriptors, it seems like a very interesting scale to know and understand.

11. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, yeah, I didn't think you were. I was commenting on my own experience and wasn't very clear about it. Sorry about that.