1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know your type of guy/girl?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tryhtwfr, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

Let me start with the fact I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I'm just wondering how do people know their "type" and why that is? It really confuses me when people say to others "I'm sorry, you're just not my type"

2. BornInTexas

Generally it's the type of person you think or find is attractive the most. For example, I find heavy-set guys to be a lot more appealing to me than a gym rat. It's all personal preference.

The same can go with personality. Confidence is attractive because people see that person as comfortable with themselves, and they'll want to be around that person, as a friend or more than a friend.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Some people figure out their type by looking at what kind of people they date, but you don't need to date to know your type. For me, I figured out my type by observing the kind of guys I'm sexually attracted to and realizing that they were all plus-size.

4. Crystal's Vaporeon

I find that I know I like a guy when I look at them and see their flaws but still find them so much more attractive then any other guy.
    I found with my current boyfriend and my ex I would look at them and see things about their body I don't really like but I completely ignore them because the person inside is so much more beautiful...
    ... I feel like such a sappy bitch writing this >.>

5. King

King Guest

I know myself well enough to know what sort of people will and will not mesh well with me.

I don't take the physical aspect into consideration, though, just personality.

6. FemCasanova

I have repeatedly felt attracted to women with similar characteristics, and the pattern in it shows me I am attracted to a certain personality type. It`s experience, but not necessarily that I`ve dated them all, but also a certain insight into my own personality and needs. I know that I have a need for emotionally stable and grounded people in my life, and I know I am easily attracted to humor and an easy-going nature. So, that makes my type a girl with a good sense of humor, who is easy going and honest, as well as emotionally stable and grounded. Experience with what attracts me and insight into my own needs.

7. evora

I'm still not 100% sure if I have a type. I think I do but sometimes I feel attracted to people who don't fit into it.

8. tryhtwfr

Thanks for all your responses.

I honestly don't know how people can come to conclusions like that. For example, I find people attractive in many different ways like a blonde person could have different features which make them attractive than a black headed person. So it depends on if what they have going works and then if you click with the guy is the most important bit. I don't know how to describe personalities but it's just if something clicks then they are your type. That's why I don't think people should be like 'Oh sorry you're not my type' without even dating them which confuses me but yeah

9. King

King Guest

I think it just takes knowing oneself to be able to decide whether or not certain people are ones 'type'.

Do you mean type as in physically, or personality wise? Or both?

10. tryhtwfr

More physically wise than personality wise.

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

For guys: bishonen. I blame it on playing so many JRPG's growing up. The only guys I've crushed on in real life looked like they could have starred in Ouran High School Host Club. :lol: I also think I would be attracted to non-binary people who look like this, too, except I think my attraction would be more traditionally romantic or sexual rather than lithromantic and lithsexual (i.e. I crush on guys but have zero desire to actually do anything with them).

I haven't really figured out what my type of woman is yet, or even if I have one. I don't have the same immediate physical attraction to girls as I do for guys. It starts of as emotional attraction, and then differentiates into either romantic or platonic feelings (or goes away entirely). So it comes down to personality.

12. Candace

I always think to myself "what qualities do I see in my future husband?" and that guy whom I could live with forever. If they don't have any weird quirks or go against your pet peeves, then he'd be my type.

13. Gen

Gen

Psychologically, the mind will often adapt its physical interest to favor an individual the more it begins to see them as an optimal mate.(Basically, the more emotional drawn/attached you are to them.)

So while most people can often describe their preferred type, these forms are far less rigid than most of us insinuate.

14. Hudson

Mine are pretty easy - I just have an attraction to specifics.

Guy: around my age (early-mid twenties), brown hair, slender-ish physique (but doesn't need to be skinny), 5'2"-6'0" (I'm 6'5" so all of those heights are "short" to me), not overly hairy. White or medium brown skin.

Girl: also around my age, brown hair, slender-ish physique (but doesn't need to be skinny), 5'0"-5'8", white or medium brown skin.

So yeah, I have my "types." HOWEVER, personality is valued most over all, so if someone didn't fit my specific ideals, they aren't ruled out. They just need to shine with personality - which people have done with me. :slight_smile:

15. TooSweet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did so by fantasizing constantly about the same type. Average build to medium build, usually white, easy going slightly feminine personality, guys who like to shave and manicure themselves. Yummy!

16. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My type is a girl with a big sense of humor , that never makes others feel uncomfortable, not shy, open minded and likes to do almost any activies but also likes to just lie in bed and cuddle :3

I never dated anyone but I know my type because I am attracted to girls who are like what I described! Never been attracted to a girl that is (too) shy, close minded, etc.

17. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Skinny/slim is a must as is smooth/not hairy. Long hair is a plus. After that, it's something in their eyes. I know it when I see it. A certain expression. Body language tells me much about the person. But even a photo tells me enough usually. I'm extremely perceptive.