1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is having a "type" shallow?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it? I've definitely got a "type" that turns my head. I think I know why I have that type, but that's a tangent. That isn't to say other guys are attractive and I've surprisingly found myself in situations where I've gotten to know non-types better that were ok.

I bring this up because there was a thread on body parts and fetishism on another part of the board. I wouldn't think a look, mostly composed of facial features, is a fetish.

Either way, do you have a "type" and do you think it's shallow to have a "type?"

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I don't think it's shallow at all. It's like preferring impressionist paintings to surrealist ones, if you ask me.

3. Hexagon

I'm not sure. Probably not. But choosing one's partners based solely on physical qualities is.

4. Candace

Not at all. That's like me saying I like Hispanic guys over Asians...that's just preference, man.

5. KnownSecret

If your super shallow, like you meet someone that you clicked with so well and seemed to fit together like cogs on a clock but they aren't as attractive as you would want. Then I think it seems wrong, but other then that preference is what makes everyone unique and amazing! :slight_smile: Everyone has a certain type they are looking for (even if they lie and say they don't). Prefer what you like, just don't hurt anyone in the process. :slight_smile: No one wants to hear: "Yeah your not my type."

~Zack~

6. sammyjane72x

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its not shallow if you genuinely have a type that does attract you. What's not so genuine is if you find someone attractive that's not the type you usually find yourself attracted to but choose not to go with it because this somehow goes against your status quo.

7. BudderMC

^ similarly, if you're going to reject people before even giving them a shot because they "aren't your type".

Well, some people would call that shallow. I'd call it stupid - you're making an already tiny dating pool (being LGBT) even smaller. You'd be surprised how attractive some people can be past face-value.

8. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it when people say it's wrong or discriminative to prefer a certain type of guy. Hey, I thought attraction was attraction no matter what!

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd rather dwell on the positive (what turns your crank) than on the negative (rejecting). Chances are that if you have a "type," you will most likely frequent situations that put you around those types, and not be in places or situations where you have to reject anybody.

10. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What Sammy said. It's the difference between "I'm not as attracted to blondes" and "I don't date blondes."

11. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there is a big difference between having a type, and not being sexually attracted to someone. For example, I have a body type I like more than others, and a personality I like more than others. Obviously, I'd be looking for someone with both of those. The chances of finding the perfect match are very slim, so it is flexible. If i wasn't sexually attracted to someone, I wouldn't be able to have a relationship with them; if they had an awful personality, I wouldn't want to share the rest of my life with them either.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Agreed. It crosses the line at that point.