1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever been catfished?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Diego89, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Diego89

Well, a while ago I met a guy on an online dating site, I gotta say I really liked his pics, but he also seemed interesting from what I read on his profile. So anyway, we started talking to each other in a daily basis, this went for 3 months. I was very fond of him but with the time I found him to be a little inmature, so I started to see him only as a friend rather than a potential date. I also felt he was beggining to be overly attached to me and that worried me a bit. Well, the point is after 3 months he says he has something important to tell me: the pics where not of him. I wasnt even angry, I just felt stupid, but then how could I have known, tho the idea did cross my mind before. So, we continued talking but the relationship became awkward and we eventually stopped talking. Now he probably thinks I'm a superficial asshole, well he actually said that, and I still feel stupid about the whole situation. This was my first experience on online dating, and since I'm not very fond of it (I rather meet people in person), it really dissapointed me.

Anyway, has this ever happened to you or have you done it to someone?

What are your thoughts?

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Always Skype or FaceTime with someone before you ever meet someone or allow any sort of relationship to form beyond chatting.

3. lawRAWR

I have. Kind of. I wasn't dating, but I talked to someone on Twitter, soon enough she became my friend. She then started to make up loads of stuff about herself, created fake situations that she said had 'happened' to her. She also pretended that her 'boyfriend' kept coming round to her apartment and was abusing her. I was so naive back then, that I believed her and was dishing out the sympathy almost daily when she would tell me something else. She turned out to be a fake, her account was fake and that she created other accounts; this 'boyfriend' of hers etc.

I obviously wasn't 'romantically interested' in her then, this was like last year. It just felt as if I had wasted hours of my life messaging this girl on Twitter that was a fake. It's kind of affected me ever since.

4. Minx

I encountered this years ago. Traumatic experience especially when the liar has a volatile violent personality under the surface.

Caution. Caution. Caution. Would be my advice to getting close to anyone online.

5. MerBear

yes i have and i never tell anyone because they wouldn't understand