1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jury service

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wayne1983, Jun 25, 2013.

1. wayne1983

Hi has anyone here ever done this, im booked in for next monday morning to start it, im looking forward in one way, but im hoping i make the right decision 'guilty or not guilty'!:eusa_naug

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, have you gone to voir dire yet? That's the jury selection process. Are you actually on the jury, or are you just going to be questioned for suitability.

3. wayne1983

It just says ive got to attend next monday, whether i get picked is another matter.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

We dont have jury duty, because we dont have juries and I'm glad we dont.

5. Beware Of You

I got called up for it, got out since I was about to move to Ireland :lol:

6. The username

My mom decided to go on vacation during the period she was on call for jury duty (and what do you know happened). A police officer deliver a summons to our house, but she managed to get out of it somehow... lol

7. Hitch

I did and I actually enjoyed. But I'm weird like that. I made more sitting on a jury than I did at my part-time minimum wage job.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've "gotten the card" six times. I've had to show up for selection four times. I was picked twice...but only sat once. The other time, we were literally walking into the courtroom when the lawyers announced they had struck a plea bargain.

How was the one jury I sat on? Boring as hell. It was two suburbanite neighbors who hated each other, and so decided to fight through the court system over and over. This particular charge was "criminal trespassing" - one was overwatering the lawn, causing water to go into the other's basement, and so she went over to try to turn it off. Seriously - this went to jury trial. A waste of everybody's time. We found "not guilty", but added a thing suggesting both parties move.

Lex

9. sugarcubeigloo

Yep! This past December. I went and was picked for a jury. The thing took two and a half weeks. I didn't really have much to say... I was the youngest there by at least ten years and most of them were on juries before, so they were "experts" on the whole thing. I was happy to let them take the lead. I did make friends with one of the other jury members though. She was a professor who taught art at one of the local universities.

I didn't think it was fun though. The whole case was brutal and I didn't like sitting through any of it.

10. Aldrick

I got called once and got to sit on the jury. I was a bit nervous being thrown in a room full of strangers not knowing how anyone would feel. Somehow I ended up leading the jury in the discussion of the case.

I found it to be a very educating experience, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity. It really helped me see things from the perspective of a jurist, which now informs my opinion about high profile cases in the media. You have to separate your personal feelings from things and focus on the facts and evidence. Even if you return a verdict that you feel probably should have went differently if you were following your gut, it's important not to blame yourself. You did your job. It is the prosecutors job to prove guilt hence "innocent until PROVEN guilty".

11. Hudson

No... but I've been called as a witness in several global financial crime cases (it comes with the job).

12. biggayguy

I've had the letter four times. I had to go once for jury selection. They always let me go because I can't stand up to sit in the jury box.

13. wayne1983

Well ill find out next week how it goes, im hoping i get picked just for the experience if nothing else.
    Didnt know you could get picked more than once though