1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing tarot cards

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phoenixverde, Jun 25, 2013.

1. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So my MIL is studying how to read tarot cards and past life regression. I have never really believed in that stuff, but I am thinking of letting her read mine.

She has no idea I am a lesbian and it would be interesting to see what she read.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

To start, what does MIL stand for?

I've always found tarot fascinating and scary all at once. I used a friend's set to read a couple spreads of my own, and I suppose that I interpreted what some meant and applied it myself. Having it interpreted would be more impartial, I think, unless the reader uses cold reading and notices your reactions and can assume how you interpret them yourself. Did that make sense? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I read someones Tarot Cards & I was spot on & everything came true, not for the 1st time either :slight_smile:

4. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At first I read : Tasting Carrot Cards.. WHAT?

Sorry, this is very random.. I just really wanted to share my crazyness.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do that all the time with my Dyslexia :roflmao:

6. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay I am not the only one (!):roflmao:

7. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Haha! I do that all the time.

MIL= mother in law

I read facial expressions so I'll know if she tries that. I doubt it. She actually calls them angel cards, but they are tarot.

8. biggayguy

Just for fun you can get a free computer-generated tarot reading at FREE Tarot, Runes, Numerology, and I Ching from Facade! It let's you choose a deck and a spread or you can go completely random. I have had some surprisingly accurate readings. It does seem to help if you are thinking of a specific question.

9. WhisperedShadow

I've had a friend of mine read my tarot two times, as well as a long distance person read them twice as well. Surprisingly accurate, if your person knows their magick. Which is, by no means, to be confused with magic. Two different things.

10. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That was fun. There are 3 of here who did a reading. There was one point when we were laughing hysterically.

11. Hefiel

For future reference, use "mother in law" instead of "MIL". You're one letter away from something completely different, but still related to mothers. :lol:

I had a "WTF, did she just say that?" moment before I noticed it was one letter off. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Ticklish Fish

So I type in my English name and the question "Am I Gay?"

then it gave me a bunch of cards....

what am i supposed to do besides reading?

if you're interested in helping me, post on my wall? XD

#12 Ticklish Fish, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  13. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had to ask someone what you meant. OOPS! I'll type it out next time. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

I just read them and applied what it said to my question.

Apparently I will find love. :slight_smile:

14. Ticklish Fish

But there's a few cards, I googled them and each one can mean multiple things!
    even mean something else when reverse!

my head asplode

15. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you scroll down it will tell you what the card means and what it pertains to.

16. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

there are different forms of tarot cards, my daughter uses ones that are native based, and so does my wife, myself i cant touch them or use them, they go wrong for me. i myself uses rune stones, i find they are best or glory wands.

17. Just Jess

So I don't want to take the fun out of this for anyone. But I like trivia, and magic. And I like juggling but never got very good at it. My love of magic and my love of hacking away at things in the "taking them apart to see what makes them tick" sense come from the same place. I really get a kick out of simple illusions and pre-CG special effects where they really blow things up and crash cars and jump out of buildings. Just the same, if Tarot cards are fun and mysterious, they sure can still be after you read this, but no guarantees and you might wanna skip this post.

So the first deck for the game trumps had 16 trump cards with Greek gods on them, and suits depicting 4 kinds of birds. It was made in the 1400s, so Tarot cards only have a history going back half a millennium. Divination using playing cards goes back to the 1540s, and the two worlds combine with modern interpretations of the Trumps cards as the Tarot deck we know and love today in the late 18th century. A Frenchman named de Gébelin coined the term Tarot out of two Egyptian words meaning "royal" and "road", and associated the whole deck with the Egyptian Book of Thoth.

So basically keep in mind we are talking about 1790s pokemon cards :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But as to whether they work? The modern Tarot story is really close to the "hero with a thousand faces" story by Joseph Cambel. The themes in the story come up in everyone's life all the time, and you can find an interpretation that makes sense no matter what you draw. So in a sense, yes. They are guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

What I mean by work I can probably explain in another way. A lot of jobs have people train with simulations. Like think CPR dummies. And a key element to any simulation is random chance. So that's what Tarot cards are. They're a guaranteed completely random way of looking at the world, and a way for you to simulate anything. Like let's say you're thinking "what happens if I skip work today". Then you draw the cards and see something that very well could happen. If it's a bad fortune you think "yikes I better not skip work today". If it's a good fortune, you start thinking about the benefits to skipping work against the costs. Any fortune at all and you'll get some stuff questioning your motives for even asking to begin with (if you use the Celtic Cross anyway). Either way in theory you make a better decision and you're more prepared just because the cards made you think about what would probably happen.

And the Tarot story is a pretty awesome way of looking at the world anyway. The theme to the tarot story is to just get out there, live life, and take chances. It's all about conquering fear and getting scars. And being really strong willed no matter what happens or how exhausted you are.

Buuuuuuuttttt... of course, there is the association with ancient Egyptian religion, combined with cultural legends from all over Europe and the Middle East. Including for example the Tower of Babel story. Really they'll throw just any old thing in there. So there are some religions that frown on them and they've got valid reasons for doing so.

And of course it's easy to forget that a bunch of pieces of cardboard can't live your life for you and aren't responsible for your decisions.

So Cassie, are they magic though? I know what you're going to say because you're a huge nerd and obviously that means you're a no nonsense uber atheist skeptical debbie downer, right?

Well... that's the other thing. Magic is a whole thing that some people take really seriously. Now this goes in a whole weird area and it's really hard to say anything about what everyone believes. It's like the trans, a lot of people don't agree on what magic even is supposed to be.

But one unifying thread that most people that believe in or even (at least as they claim) practice magic have, is that magic is all about using your will to change the world. About being the center of your universe for a change. So in that sense, they sure can be. Every bit as magic as a good movie or book that inspires you to get off your butt and do something at the very least.

And at least for me, I'm proud to say that enough of my imagination has survived into adulthood that a lot of the movies I see are still filled to the brim with magic. Inception was nothing but.

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read tarot all the time. I love it. :grin:

However, I'm not a mystic. I don't see them as spooky fortune telling devices. I don't claim to take a glance at anyone's future. And it is still a ton of fun. Personally, I think it's strongly psychological, and I like having the archetypes on the cards entwine with elements of my life - sometimes seeing them layed out, reading into it, you can see things more clearly. It gives you a window, if you will, through which to really focus and scrutinize parts of your own life. They trick your brain into thinking more deeply.

Mystical? Not necessarily. A total bs waste of time? I think not.

19. Just Jess

I am jealous of your ability to say in 3 paragraphs what I took a whole book to say :|

20. Ticklish Fish

Yeah, but Tarot cards dont have limited edition like Pokemon cards :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was looking at online tarot cards for like "am i gay?" or "should i come out?"
    and the cards were kind of the same and similar