1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone awkward around family/friends when gay topics arise?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 26, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

My mom knows I'm gay (dad and 12-year-old sister don't). Whenever gay issues or couples or something of that nature show up on the television, I try to leave the room. I just feel awkward when those topics are aired. If I am aware that certain issues will show up on the TV, I'll try to surreptitiously change the channel. Maybe I make make it more obvious because I once almost tripped as I was exiting the living room when a gay couple was featured on TV. Although my mom didn't say anything because we seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, I feel she may have known why I left the room so quickly.

Anyways, do any of y'all get awkward around gay topics, especially if you're not entirely out? How do y'all "get awkward?"

2. BornInTexas

I get awkward, especially since I'm not out to my parents. Right now, the gay topics are on the news... I'm in my room having my silent celebration.

I do leave the room, and I make an excuse like, "Getting a drink."

3. Amerigo

you should be proud! but seriously, all pride related stuff aside, it can be awkward. i'm not out, but having grown up in a household where my parents would simply change the channel whenever anything LGBT related came on the news, i know it's best (for now at least) to sit quietly. when the time comes, i hope to teach them that LGBT folk are worthy of their time...

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've experienced this, though not now. If I was at a table full of people in the dorms and they would start discussing GLBT topics, either for humor or factual issues, I found myself remaining silent and wondered if my edginess was detectable. I've also felt uncomfortable when said situation occurred if going out to eat with 2 or 3 other people or if sitting around someone's family room. The awkwardness involved me being very self-conscious of appearing edgy or uncomfortable when previously composed and relaxed before the topic came up.

5. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Deeerp, no not at all. I talk about LGBT (and other liberal) issues openly and frequently with family and friends. Hell, me and my little sister were singing and dancing to "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry with out mom in the other room the other night, lololz! I feel like exposing people to the community is the ONLY way they can understand and remove the stigma from their mind, so I am very vocal about the fact I am trans/LGBT and about my support and passion for this cause.

When I was younger I used to be really shy and uncomfortable and never talk about certain things, and I would get really awkward, but I don't know, something changed. I just feel very comfortable and open talking about most anything. I think that's what happens when you finally accept yourself the way you are. It builds up a sense of confidence and that is just a wonderful thing to have <3

#5 StefaniW, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  6. Tim

Tim

xD All the time. Mostly because they never know how to react around me when something gay comes up somehow.

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like those moments at all, I usually just sit quietly until the subject changes. Whether or not they take it as a clue I can't say.

8. Hexagon

Yeah. I feel either as if I'm expected to contribute ( i mean, what more do I really have to say on some subjects?) or as if my presence is censoring the conversation.

9. justjade

Oh, god, yes! My family is all pretty homophobic, so even though I feel obligated to add something to the conversation, I don't want to reveal my true opinion.

10. Sarcastic Luck

It doesn't come up too often, but I usually end up getting pissed off because my family is fairly homophobic.

11. Holly

I'm more concerned that if I say something about the subject, they'll automatically assume and question me. I'm no so much awkward, just careful about what I say. I have rather strong feelings when it comes to gay rights and equality in general, but I've kinda learnt to deal with those opinions internally rather than out myself accidentally over too harsh opinions :slight_smile:

12. TheTrueInferno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get awkward, but I'm usually the one to address the fact. Everyone knows I'm not against it but nobody knows I'm completely for it. My sister is transitioning so I wouldn't be bothered about any gay topics arise.

13. Hefiel

The first chat I had with my parents after I came out was a bit awkward, but not that much. We haven't really talked about it since, mostly because they have no issue with it and there's no need to go over it again. There was this one thing that happened a few weeks ago that was pretty funny though, my father said out of habit "This woman is pretty good looking.", to which I responded "I don't really pay much attention to that", and after he sort of remembered, we laughed about it for a little while.

I personally don't feel awkward around my family when gay topics arise. Can't say about friends though, that number is pretty low (read "It would be 0, but maybe it's 0.5.") and that person doesn't know yet (long story).

14. Colours

Oh yes, mainly around my family, mostly because I find it hard to gauge what they think of it all (I'm out to them as bisexual - they know I dated a guy once). Today though, the thing about gay marriage in the US was on the news, and I got awkward (it was during dinner as well). Then my father said how he thought it was ridiculous that gay couples get treated so much differently and harrassed in a country like the US. So that kind of eased my nerves. :slight_smile:

15. WhisperedShadow

I don't get awkward because it doesn't come up. My mom and brother know, and that's okay with me. But no, I get awkward when stuck at my ex's dad's church last Easter and they were talking about how homosexuals..blah blah blah. I nearly left the room, I felt so sick. ;~;

16. Diego89

Sure, and I'm not even out, can't imagine how awkward will get once I am.

17. Stripe101

Yeah, I have no idea how to act when LGBT stuff arises. I don't know how I did it before.

18. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    god, I'm super awkward. can't look anyone in the eye.

19. timo

I'm not out to my parents so when I'm at their place and there's something gay related on tv I just pretend I don't care and continue what I'm doing.

I'm only awkward around friends when it's about me, not if it's about gay topics in general.

20. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever my family and I are watchig a movie and a (straight) romantic scene appears, I 'get a drink of water' to avoid the "Isn't she hot. Do you like any girls?" comments that will follow.