1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did the Rainbow flag origionate from?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I just want to know where it came from, how it became the LGBT symbol

[​IMG]

2. BornInTexas

I think it represented equality and diversity, but it was just adopted into the gay culture. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. That's just what I speculate.

3. MerBear

4. Night Rain

5. MerBear

6. Beware Of You

I kinda avoid Wiki since its forbidden in research

7. MerBear

Well, honestly...even though, it's forbidden in research. I think you might still find the same thing anywhere. Not everything is inaccurate ya know?

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love how Meher Baba has his own rendition of the flag. As a fan of Pete Townshend, I find that to be the greatest, and most hilarious thing ever.

9. Hexagon

You can use the sources wiki gives instead.

10. Night Rain

New flash: People use Wikipedia for research all the time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Wikipedia gives you a quick, organised look on whatever you're researching on. The key is to look for references on the wiki page (under "Notes") and work from there. Also don't put wikipedia in your bibliography.

It is not forbidden to use Wikipedia in a research. Wikipedia is generally not accepted as a source. These 2 are very different from each other. The reason it can't be accepted is that Wikipedia is a open encyclopedia, meaning anyone can edit it. There have been many hate-based vandalism (er, I think that's the word?) and pranks (by re-editing the articles) and if you happen to use the page at the same time, you'll get false information. That is why it isn't accepted in research.

Now there are less trolls on Wikipedia, mainly due to the page's new policies (you have to have an account to edit an article, and your IP is logged, everything is recorded, so if you do something bad, you'll get banned). Wikipedia is actually very reliable, especially when you use it right.

And you decided to trust random strangers' opinions rather than a source that has plentiful of reference (which you can trace back by clicking on the link...).

11. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all

"The first rainbow flag made its debut at the San Francisco Pride Parade in 1978. Designed by San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker, the original flag was hand-dyed and consisted of eight symbolic colors: Hot Pink (sexuality), Red (life), Orange (healing), Yellow (sunlight), Green (nature), Turqoise (magic/art), Blue (serenity/harmony) and violet (spirit). " - Huffington Post Article Eh, couldn't find a primary source, but I think this will do.

Anyways, I actually don't like the whole rainbow colors thing - I wish it was something else. This is my thought pattern/process when I think of rainbows (generally in order), 1. leprechauns and gold, 2. skittles 3. prisms, 4. visible light in EM spectrum 6. Bending of light (horizons, why the sky is blue, red during dawn/sunrise) 7. LGBT

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. Beware Of You

Pink Triangle was used by the Nazis to label homosexuals prior to being shipped to the death camps , so I find it abhorrent.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! That's why I was never fond of adopting it. I can see being aware of the history, and not forgetting those atrocities, but I don't see it as a very 'feel good' symbol, by any means.