1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion's view of sexuality and has it changed your religious viewpoint?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 26, 2013.

?

Religion's view of sexuality and has it changed your religious viewpoint?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2014.
  1. Identify with my religion and nothing has changed

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Identify with my religion and hold back to some degree

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Identify with my religion and hold back a lot

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Went from religious to agnostic

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Went from religious to atheist

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Religion has never been a part of my life

19 vote(s)
    25.3%
  7. Another explanation is needed

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People bring up religion more than politics. They mention it about their families and their communities. What has the strict view of what is sexually acceptable according to most religions done to your relationship with religion?

2. BornInTexas

I was atheist before I accepted I was gay.

Now I just don't care, so apatheist.

If anything, it only compels me to believe that there isn't a deity floating around on a cloud condemning people who are different to Hell.

3. MerBear

was atheist before i even question my sexuality.
    honestly, to change your religious views because of something said in the bible or a religious bigot ...is absurd and a little childish.

4. rjrh20

Before I came out to my mom we went to church every ounce in a while. At my dads house (parents are divorced), we never went to church, but my dad is pretty religious because of AA. Neither one of my parents are homophobic, but my dad is pretty close to it, so religion hasn't really been affected by the fact that I am gay.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've went from religious to agnostic, not just because of how my sexuality is treated by religious people, but also because I don't think praying to something that you don't know is there is not really my thing now. If they prove there is a God, great. I might go back to religion, I may not. If they prove there isn't a God, that's fine too.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Identify with my religion and nothing has changed"

Although I don't have any hard ties at the moment. I generally label myself more spiritual than religious. That said, the groups I feel comfortable with tend to be liberal and accepting of LGBT people.

7. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been an atheist for as long as I remember. Way before, I was ever questioning myself.

8. Salazar

Religious to agnostic, but that's also because I'm a scientist.

9. Hexagon

I put that religion has never been a part of my life. That is the option closest to the truth. I was born into a religious family, but I left the religion as soon as I learned to think. I've been, shall we say, scarred by religion though, both by my parent's treatment of me, and indirectly, by religion's effect on people's POVs about gender and sexuality, and by others attacking my for my atheism, gender and sexuality. Me and religion, we don't get along.

10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recognize that Christianity actually says the same things about homosexuality as it does about heterosexuality. Neither one is good nor bad, actions that hurt other people are what are sinful.

11. Gen

Gen

"A different explanation is needed."

I have found flaw in every religion I have been exposed to. I have study various different branches of science, and have found flaws in various theories that have been presenting by the various branches. I find flaw in the mindset of complete atheism.

I'll admit that I am a tough cookie. I am not one to simply pick a belief or set of sides, because it seems most reasonable to. If I am going to stick a label onto my beliefs, every piece of it needs to be completely reasonable to me. So nothing changed, or didn't change for that matter, because I have never put much weight on the beliefs of others. Religious or otherwise.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe my signature expresses my answer to the question posed

13. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not saying I'm an atheist, mainly because I believe there is some form of life after death, I don't just wanna go "Poof" But religion has never really been a large part in my life, I have never read the bible yet I am supposedly a christian, anytime I get dragged to church which is only on special occasions, I practically ignore anything and everything that is said.

14. FreeFlow9917

I believe their is a god, but in my eyes, god or jesus wouldn't care if you're lgbt, because he made you that way. What religious people don't understand is god made us in his eyes, so god made us gay, straight, bi, or other. Thats my religion, all loving, all caring, all wise, no matter s.o.

15. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised essentially an Atheist. I sang prayers at school, said grace at school, was told not to blaspheme but I was never told why I did these things. No one ever really tried to enforce the belief on me. When I reached about 11 I started to think about Religion and came to the conclusion I was an Atheist. It simply makes no sense to me, I find all I know about the Judeo-Christian religion laughable and boring. A few years later I'd, unrelatedly, come to a decision that one could never be 100% certain of anything and should always factor in the possibility of errors and subsequently labelled myself an Apathetic Agnostic for a while. It was only a couple years ago I gave up with that stupid name as it annoyed the religious, the atheistic and eventually myself.

TL;DR - I'm a blasphemous heathen who revels in his sin.

16. Sal

Sal Guest

After entering middle school I began to question religion. After having to deal with my father and mother arguing on what religion to raise me by I was introduced to Biology. I found that what was written in the Bible did not match what I was taught by my teachers and was confused by this. As i read more into it I found that I preferred the scientific evidence found in multiple, factual, sources over the unlikely stories I'd read in the Bible. Although science doesn't answer everything and I sometimes find myself turning to religion for answers to my unsolved questions. However I do not limit myself to just one religious source. I research multiple and compare and contrast them till i'm satisfied with my findings.

The one thing I was able to get from the Bible that stuck with me is that God, loves all his children. What gender or sexuality they are doesn't change that.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I need to expound on my answer by using words that I used in a conversation with my friend and the outcome of today

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was baptised catholic.

I was raised Methodist.

I find myself agnostic, and here are a few key reasons why:

1. First off, there has been no proof that there is or is no god. Both sides are right when they say "You can't prove me wrong," While there is evidence that has been leaning toward that there is no god, not much of that evidence has been confirmed.

2. Kind of an extension of the first, but I don't think there really will be any proof that there is a god. Unless a huge voice cries out to us, or God actually shows his face, all we are going to see is scientific breakthrough after scientific breakthrough. That's all it's ever been, and that's all it's going to ever be.

3. Without undeniable, infallible proof of a god, I find that it's actually pretty egotistical to follow a religion, or at least one that says there is a god. Fundamentally, it claims to know everything, and anybody following the religion claims to know everything as well. The" God of the Gaps" argument is used time after time, to the point of nauseum. Extreme fundamentalists tend to reject science because of this.

19. biggayguy

The short answer is I went from Pentecostal to Catholic because of my sexuality. I went through a period of trying agnostic but just couldn't really stop being a follower of Christ teachings. My Pentecostal church was all fire and brimstone. The catholic church is a love-fest by comparison. Lately though Anglican is looking better than both because of Bishop Gene Robinson, their openly gay leader.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My own (personally invented) religion is welcoming of alternate sexuality. It has actually helped me come to terms with it, rather than the contrary. :slight_smile: