1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out by letter or in person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NightGrazer, Jun 27, 2013.

?

Coming out by letter, in person or other?

1. Letter

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. In person

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. Other (please specify)

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally think it is better to come out in person, what do you guys think?

2. Hexagon

I think letter is preferable. Coming out can be an emotional event, and in my experience, emotions and clear and concise communication do not mix well. When coming out, people often try to explain some of their past feelings and experiences, while reassuring the reader they haven't changed and still care for them, and that is much easier to do if you have the time and space to write it beforehand, especially if the person you're coming out to is liable to start crying half way though. It also gives the reader the space to think about what they've read, rather than simply lashing out at the person coming out, and causing a whole load of problems.

That being said, sometimes doing it in person is easier. Usually to open-minded or lgbt friends, or to new acquaintances you meet long after coming out. In situations where you basically say "I'm [sexuality]" and they say "Ok".

3. King

King Guest

I think coming out should be done in whatever way works best for the person coming out. Whether it's by letter, in person, through text, or screaming it across the street at someone, it should be done in a way that makes the person coming out most comfortable.

4. Rexmond

I came out to my friends in person, because I honestly didn't care how they'd react. I knew that if they were my true friends, me coming out to them would have little effect on our friendship. So, in other words, I didn't have much to worry about.

However, when it came to telling an adult, what I'd call my first serious coming out. I had to do it by letter. Coming out in person wasn't an option because it would have been too awkward, I would have felt uncomfortable and it would have made me unable to speak what was really on my mind. I didn't have to worry about things like this when coming out by letter, so it is by far the more preferable option.

When you do it by letter, you are able to write what you're feeling, and exactly what you'd like to say. It also gives you and the person/people you're coming out to time to prepare for your next encounter when you're ready to discuss it in person.

5. Candace

Coming out by letter is easier. You save yourself from the drama that might ensue if you told the person face-to-face. Plus, you can plan out what you want to say easier in writing (since you really only get one shot).

6. MrBrightside

I personally think in person is better. If you do it by letter you dont know how they react, what they think and they cant ask you questions there and then.

I do understand that its easier and clearer because theres no nerves or panic but i do find it impersonal.

7. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out via text. It was a lot more comfortable for me. I came out via text, with pretty Much everyone. But now, when people ask I just tell them. Lol

8. justjade

Letters are very escapist....which is why I recommend them.

9. Fiddledeedee

I can't say that one is always better than the other. It depends entirely on who you're coming out to. Using a letter for a difficult coming-out like to conservative parents is often wise, but using a letter for telling someone you barely know probably isn't.

10. MerBear

I say by email, because i dont feel like facing that person....but email, helps me.....give my thoughts all in one....a letter, ...i cant...and definitely not in person

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

A letter is better in terms of confidence and stress.
    However I feel that ultimately coming out in person is better for the following reasons:
    1. It's less likely to be mistaken as a joke.
    2. It's more personal.
    3. It provides the oppurtunity to discuss it.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started off with messages (written and technology), but after the third person, it became much easier to just say it. I'm now able to come out in person without nerves. I don't like making a big deal out of it when coming out; because they have to absorb quite a lot in a short amount of time, I prefer to have a discussion come later after the shock has worn off.

13. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

It depends on the person, who they are coming out to, and the situation. I prefer to come out in person because it's more personal yet also makes it seem like it's not as big of a deal. However, if I had an extremely homophobic family member and I was afraid of their reactions, I would use a letter. Other forms of communication, such as Facebook statuses or texts, are also be appropriate in certain situations.