1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first experiences with the internet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wondered what everyones early memories of using the internet are.
    Does anyone have any interesting or funny stories?
    Was your experience a good one or a bad one or were you just plain confused?

I dont really have any amazingly interesting stories to tell. But I may as well kick off this thread seeing as I am the one who created it!

>>>>>>>>>>>

CHAT ROOM FUN

I think that I first used the internet properly for the first time when I was 11 years old. My cousin (same age) introduced me to chat rooms. We used to have fun, sitting together at the computer, pretending to be older than we were and etc.
    I used to go home and do it myself too. I remember that I got a sexual thrill out of pretending that I was younger than I actually was to guys either the same age or older than me. I never really said anything sexual though.

ONLINE GAMING

When I was 13, everyone in my class at school starting to play a certain free online MMORPG called "Runescape". I played that game for years. I made many good friends on there and have loads of memories - some sad. Its almost like its a real place to me (which, I suppose, it sort of is).

PERVERTED MEAL

I remember, when I was 12, I found a gay chat room. I went on it, and put in my real age and stuff.
    Soooooooo many perverts messaged me in like the space of 10 seconds.
    I decided to talk to one guy and ask him what his favourite food was. His reply was "cum". And I left that chat room and never returned :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Night Rain

Creating my first email address ever, and boy, was it embarrassing! :lol: Ricky_and_pokemon... Gosh, so creepy!

Dial-up modem ringtone and slow-ass speed. Also, "GET OFF THE INTERNET I HAVE TO MAKE A CALL" thing.

Joining a forum. It was a forum (in my native language) created by a comic publisher. Everyone was around my age and really nice, no trolls whatsoever.

Downloading and installing lots of random programs. It was really fun and also got me involved in IT stuff.

And last but not least, NEOPETS!

#2 Night Rain, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. Hexagon

I made a hotmail account of all things.

4. Night Rain

Hey that's what I did too! :grin:

5. Hexagon

I use gmail now. I hate hotmail.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the only thing I used the Internet for was Neopets!!
    When I was offline, I would play Crystal Caliburn or mess around on MS Paint.
    It was a simple time.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2013 at 10:10 AM ----------

Hotmail is the devil. A lot of spam and stuff. I just have it for xbox live. I have 3 gmails and like a whole lot better :slight_smile:

7. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First time?
    Neopets I think. Lol
    First Constant use of Internet, was a Naruto forum that I long left. Lmao

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First used the internet in 1996, Netscape was the rage then, right then and there I understood that this was going to be big. (My engineer friend on the other hand, an electrical engineer with impeccable computer skills, at the time said all it was good for was for finding someone's telephone number...)

9. Night Rain

Same here.

I'd pay to go back to those days. Neopets, I remember winning 2nd or 3rd prizes in the lotto a few times... I made some first international friends in the guild (is that what it's called?). It was fun. Now I need to check my neopets account...

Edit: My account doesn't exist any more?

10. Harve

I live (or, lived) in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure we were one of the last in the country to get broadband, which even now is pretty wank and takes over a day to torrent a 700MB film. But anyway, the 'I need to use the phone so finish your Facebook chat' is a scarily recent memory for me.

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's my Broadband two weeks ago, and thinking I'm only 100 miles away from London too.

As for moaning about speeds, I can't remember what I actually did? I've been on one forum since 2006/aged 11, which is kinda scary.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    o_0 I wonder if mine is still open then. I remember winning the grand prize of 10,000 NP on the Farie's Fortune Wheel about twice. That was fun. I cannot for the life of me remember what kind of bank account I had but I was rolling in the monies :grin: and yes they're called guilds.

12. Night Rain

Apparently they delete accounts that have been inactive for 2 years... I was in the top 3 (should be the top) of the counting potatoes game too! Fond memories. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I remember using ArtMoney to know the exact number of objects flying by, and all I needed to do is to count non-potato stuff. I missed my Flotsam. :frowning2: I drew a pic of it using the DS (Color! app), which was really cool but I lost it. Life was all about enjoying oneself back then. :grin:

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...I just tried logging into my account. It's still there; however, I used a fake birthday and I can't remember what year I used :frowning2: I'm beyond livid. I just may email the support team and explain to them what was going on and hopefully they'll tell me what birthday I used or change it to my actual birthday.

14. Night Rain

I think that's what happened to me. Couldn't remember the birthday and just left it there to be deleted. :frowning2:

Oh, and Yahoo Messenger was really popular back then, Friendster was a thing, and songs were of really low quality (64 kbps or less).

15. Stripe101

I don't remember much of my Windows 95 computer, but I remember when I got Windows 2000. Where the internet was concerned, my mother was so excited that she could talk on the phone AND surf the web. I guess we had dial-up before that.

16. King

King Guest

I played Insanaquarium to death. I spent a good year doing only that, really. The internet was no fun for me past that goddamn game as I was too busy being nine and doing other spectacular things with my time.

17. Ashen

Mostly the same as other's here. I got pulled into runescape by a friend, played it nearly every day for a month, then never played it again. I made some good friends because I kept coming back to it every few months though. But really, that was all I did on the internet at first.

18. Kamina

Earliest memory of using the internet would be creating a hotmail account in grade 5, I think, and then creating a Webkins account and buying almost 20 dollar webkins to keep my account active!! I didn't have the internet to much when I was really young, I know I played games but nothing online!

19. Amerigo

i don't really know, i would have guessed most people here are the internet generation.

20. Hexagon

Oh you poor thing... But how do you seed with an upload speed like that?