1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you do well in school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Jun 27, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

So, do you do well in school? Are you in any AP or Honors classes? I'm not. I'm a fairly average student. I think I have around a 3.0 GPA and I made a 23 on the ACT. I'm far from a scholar, but I really don't try very hard. I can't remember the last time I even studied for a test. Do you work really hard in school and do your grades reflect that? It seems like there are some quite articulate people on here, so I bet you guys are going to be Harvard graduates or something like that. So, do you really try academically and do well?

2. catatonie

When I was in school, I barely scraped by.

3. MerBear

No. not at all. I make C's and mostly D's in core classes and A's and B's in electives.
    My GPA is 1.5

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA through my first two years of high school, made a 23 on my first ACT test, and am in the running for Valedictorian or Salutatorion in my class. I say I do pretty well in school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. AlamoCity

In high school, I was in a program whose classes had a similar rigor to AP courses called the International Baccalaureate Programme. I made mostly As; although I did make Cs in physics because I hated the teacher, it was an 8AM class, and it was my senior year (senioritis). My ACT composite was a 28, I believe; I didn't do that great on the science section and made a 23, but my other sections' scores helped raise the composite. I graduated third in my class, so I suppose I did OK.

#5 AlamoCity, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did pretty good in elementary school but towards the end my grades went down due to being a bit of a rebel and anxiety. In high school I did quite well, I focused more on academics but as I opened up more socially I did even better because I had a small network of people to ask fo help and stuff. I even won a few awards for biology and communications.

Now in college I tend to do really well in classes that are my strong suits but not too good in my weak suits. My last program ended pretty badly due to depression and a little internal chaos, twas the reason I was off a semester. I hope to do really well this fall when I get back in the program, and hopefully well enough to get to university from college.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AlamoCity: I've always noted that my friends from Texas and the South say "made" certain grades, whereas in other parts of the country, they typically say "got" certain grades, and I wonder how this would manifest itself on a map.

I'll chime in, though it's been a while. I was an A- student in high school. I did next to nothing. I got a very good SAT score, though not an excellent SAT score. I didn't prepare for it. I then realized I had to work in college, acquired some discipline, and got slightly higher grades than in high school and hit one of the tiers of honors, despite no therapy or medication for what was obviously depression. I then got a really good GRE score and did even better in grad school, and I studied a lot, for the test and in grad school.

I would have liked to have gone to a better university, but the grades and SAT combination would not have allowed for that. I've always wanted to see what my letters of recommendation looked like. They were from a couple of teachers who gave me As but, for some reason, I don't think they thought much of me, my lack of assertiveness, and my maturity level at the time. I did not have any teachers in high school who I looked up to as mentors.

#7 Tightrope, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Average VCE student with strong suits in music production, psychology, and biological sciences.

I've never failed a class before and I have high marks in all of my electives, but I'm not much of an achieving student. I just do my work and hope for the best.

9. Colours

I'm in college now, and I'm barely doing well enough to make it til next year. Which shouldn't suprise me, cause it's been this way since high school. I'm a fairly smart kid though, I hate how my results in school don't show it. I just lack discipline.

10. Robellious

I am a Pretty average student now, unlike before I had a .667 GPA in middleschool.. but now in highschool I get a 3.0-3.5 gpa.. I have no idea why.

11. ANightDude

I'm doing much better than I did in High School now that I'm in college. It is true - the work you put in is what you get as grades. It isn't until college - unfortunately - that I realized the absolute importance of grades and trying your hardest in anything, let alone school. It really does matter.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So this is a chance to say how we all did in school and make those who did mediocre feel horrible? Excellent idea /sarcasm
    I didn't do so hot.

I did well in elementry school, mediocre is middle school, and sort of well in High School. Only did 2 P/AP courses, choir all 4 years and ended with a 3.1 HS GPA. Made an 18 on the ACT (w/o accommodations) and a 1280 on the SAT (w/o accommodations (400 - Reading, 510 - Math, and 370 - Writing) I made a 1480 on the SAT (w/ accommodations (490 - Reading, 660 - Math and 330 - Writing). Have a 2.875 GPA in college (University) right now...I need to bump that s*** up.
    What's up with everyone except America thinking college and University are different? They're the same thing.

13. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do pretty good in school I always have really mostly A's some B's ya know, in elementary I always got C's in conduct so I guess that says something. In high school even though I take advanced /AP classes for the most part I still maintain a 3.98 GPA...that is all.

14. BornInTexas

15. AlamoCity

It might be the Southern mentality of not taking anything that's not yours. In grades, I suppose "getting" grades almost sounds like they are doled out while "making" a grade implies you "earned" it. I do sometimes say "I got an A," but I think I use "made" more.

16. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I do very well in school. I got one B in elementary school and one in high school; the rest of the time I got straight A's. Now that I'm in college I get a more even balance of 3.5's and 4.0's, with one 3.0 the semester my depression first hit in earnest, but my cumulative GPA is still around 3.8. Had my family been able to afford it, I probably would have been able to go to an Ivy, but since I knew that I couldn't go if I got in and was lazy and suffering from mental illness, I didn't bother applying.

To be honest, I probably shouldn't do as well in school as I do. My various mental illnesses mean I have a hard time devoting more than 10 hours of work per week outside of class (if I can even manage that much), and I usually can't focus well during class. I'm just lucky to have a brain that, when it wants to, can work extremely quickly and efficiently. I've also been dealing with this for so long that I've mastered taking shortcuts. I know exactly what the graders are looking for, and that is exactly what they get, up to the point where I can still scrape by with a satisfactory grade overall.

That's because everywhere except America, they ARE different. University is basically the same as it is in America, but college typically refers to a higher education institution just before university or something more along the lines of a community college or tech school.

17. Hefiel

I have a bad habit when it comes to school. I'm technically very good in school, and I'm quite efficient/very fast with regards to completing tasks. However, I have difficulty putting in some efforts so my grades tend to be on the lowish end when I could easily get As if I tried.

I absolutely hate the current school system, I hate that what is being taught is being taught so we know the answer to a piece of a paper rather than teacher so that we leave school actually more cultivated. I also hate waiting after people with regards to learning. I've already said that I get work done very quickly, so I usually end up doing nothing for 3/4 of the class because the teachers don't have any additional work to give or I've already completed those, and having to wait for the rest of the students is a major source of boredom for me. As a result, I skip classes...a lot. Depending on school or program, I'd skip anywhere between 25-50% of my classes, with one class that I skipped entirely and just (successfully) passed the final exam instead. That really affects my grades though, so I usually have Cs and Ds.

18. caughtbywitness

Generally I do pretty well.

Swear I read a study that gay men (not lesbians though) do averagely better than straight men. Various theories why I guess.

19. Sarcastic Luck

I slacked a lot in college. I usually put assignments off until the last minute and hardly read the books. I still pulled off a 3.24, and towards the end, I wasn't taking easy classes. Organic Chemistry, Intro to Biochemistry, etc. I honest think that had I applied myself, I probably could have had a near 4.0.

20. Hexagon

That is a mixed question. I suspect, had I actually attended school, that I could have done brilliantly. As it was, I don't think my attendance ever went above 50%, and I didn't study for my GCSEs. I think my results were good, given my attendance, and they were above the national average. Maybe I should have tried harder, but I just can't bring myself to give a shit these days.