1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George Zimmerman Trial?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Jun 27, 2013.

?

Do you think it was a murder, or self-defense?

1. George Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin in self-defense

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No Opinion/Don't know

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who all has an opinion on the trial of George Zimmerman, leader of a community watch guard who shot and killed an unarmed 17 year old Trayvon Martin back in 2012? Martin was unarmed, and Zimmerman was also told not to follow Martin by the 911 operator, but he still followed him. In my honest opinion, I think it was murder.

2. ANightDude

It wasn't murder. Murder means that you purposefully killed someone when it didn't come to self-defense. I highly doubt Zimmerman thought "a black kid. I should kill him".

It doesn't really matter. The media has made this into something ridiculous and much more challenging than it needs to be. The fact they actually have spent so much time capitalizing on the misery of people is appalling.

3. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I am not going to argue about this I think what he did was murder. He was obviously an overzealous wanna be cop, and he saw an (underage) skinny black kid (who was really doing NOTHING wrong) he profiled him, he pursued him against the orders of the police, and after the kid acted out in self defense like ANYONE would with a creepy dude following them in the middle of the night, he killed him.

I believe 100% that the main reason so many people say otherwise is because he was Black. If he were a polo shirt wearing blue eyed White kid and the circumstances were exactly the same NO one would defend Zimmerman.

4. MerBear

Seriously, No matter what, He shouldn't have shot the fucking kid in the first place. If that kid hit him with bare hands, He has no right to shoot him as this bullshit excuse call "Self defense" ....That's bullshit right there.

OH yeah, he punched me in the face so i'm going to pull my gun and shoot him.
    Tell me, does that sound right to you? someone hits you bare handed and you just pull a gun on them.

Fuck zimmerman. That was not self defense whether or not travan hit him.

Florida is a republican state with twisted laws and fuked up people

5. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have to understand that the African American community is essentially taking this kids death as a personal hit, considering the way the evidence presents itself it sure looks like murder. In any case Zimmerman wasn't acting in self defense because he followed him but even if he didn't mean to kill him, just to apprehend him, he's still dead and he needs to pay for taking another human beings life.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect George Zimmerman did not have the best of intentions in mind.

But, I'm afraid I wasn't there to witness it. So I can't say anything definitively.

7. Dan82

It’s clear to me that Zimmerman acted very poorly but I haven’t seen much evidence that he did anything illegal and in criminal trials the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

8. MerBear

yeah, that's why florida is such a fucked up state because people get away with murder calling it "self defense"

This clearly was NOT self defense. no matter how you look at it

9. Dan82

Self defense is legal in every state; the problem here is proving who instated the physical confrontation. This would be a difficult case anywhere.

10. MerBear

dude, No offense....but seriously, even if travan hit him (which i doubt) ....that gives him NO right to pull out a gun and shoot him. Unless another weapon was involved...then its a bullshit call. You see people fight Bare handed everyday and i never see anyone pull out a gun and shoot them...they fight back BARE handed.

No gun should have been pulled regardless of the law and personally, if you ask me, shooting the kid was a coward move on his part

11. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

See this makes nooo sense to me. How can you call shooting and killing a 17 year old boy just "acting poorly"?? A kid goes out for some freaking Skittles and winds up dead cuz of some unstable vigilante (he isn't EVEN that cuz he just picked on someone who was doing nothing wrong) and yet nothing illegal happened?

I seriously hope that is not what is decided cuz the evidence against Zimmerman looks pretty solid to me.

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Usually in criminal cases I suspend judgment until a verdict is reached. However, this is so blatantly a racially motivated and unjustifiable killing that I have no qualms saying Zimmerman is a murderer. Self defense my :***:. According to a friend of Martin who was on the phone with him at the time, he actually ran away and was followed. The kid was also unarmed. The fact that there is any question at all as to whether the killing was justified is a testament to the lingering racism in the US. No wonder the African-American community is upset.

13. Stripe101

This is a really complicated issue. Zimmerman shouldn't have been following him. But there was some type of fight. Honestly, I think Martin started it but in his defense, a strange man was following him. Zimmerman will be ruled innocent because of lack of evidence. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. I wasn't there so I can't pick sides.

14. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm going to be completely honest, George is totally adorable so not guiltiy.
    Yep, totally ruling on appearance. This is why I can never be On a jury.

15. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^this^ all freaking day...

16. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

This. I 100% agree.

And whoever said George Zimmerman was good looking, lol, lol...no. Just....no.

17. Dan82

The issue is if Zimmerman had reasonable fear of physical harm; being hit once wouldn’t qualify being pinned down and repeatedly hit, as Zimmerman claims would (and because this is a criminal case the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense). If Zimmerman committed a crime then it doesn’t matter if he acted in self-defense or not.

In no jurisdiction is it there a requirement for there to be gun drawn prior to self defense, all that is needed is a reasonable fear of significant bodily harm.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted that it was self-defense. However, if George's own life was in no danger (aka that Trayvon did not intend to kill him first) he should be charged with 2nd degree murder for shooting him to death.

It's hard to say. George's lawyer said that Trayvon was trained in mixed martial arts, which means he could possibly have killed somebody easily enough with his bare hands. He also showed that George had a battered face as if Trayvon would have continued fighting had he not been shot.

Overall a VERY muddy situation. I'm glad I'm not on that jury. :S

19. Dan82

The prosecution hasn’t proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he didn’t act in self defense. The prosecution need to definitively prove either A) that he didn’t have a reason to fear significant bodily harm or B) that he committed a criminal act before acting in self defense, so far they have done neither.

Don’t get me wrong Zimmerman may well be guilty (of manslaughter this clearly wasn’t murder) but the burden of proof in on the prosecution.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't know if Zimmerman is guilty or not, but I thought Rachel Jeantel did a very poor job for the prosecution. Won't be surprised at all if it comes back to haunt the state's case.