1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is London so great?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Everyone seems to love London, I never understand why.

I can't stand London at all

2. Alexander69

Same as New York, I find it dirty the people are rude as its so fast passed hate it

3. ScatteredEarth

I don't know, maybe it's because it's a change of scenery from the typical lifestyle. I always assume that London, however, holds to the stereotypical snobby perception that the English have always had. And as for NY, I like it :slight_smile: Not some place I could see myself living in my whole life, but it would be... interesting for a few years.

4. Eatthechildren

I love London! I've lived here my whole life and I just ehuefhuefufeu. I love how big it is. I love it from the posh shops in Kensington to the shitty council estates in Hackney. I love that you can get on the tube, and as you pass from one area to another the people you see start to look different. I adore my city.
    The only thing I hate is that you can't see the stars >.< damn light pollution

5. Foxface

For the time I was there I enjoyed it. Though my heart was left in Paris and Versailles to be honest

Funny story...I used to be in a baseball league called Western Conference. For a week I walked around London with a baseball hat that said WC...Londoners laughed...it wasn't until I got home that I found out the joke

Foxface

6. Fiddledeedee

ScatteredEarth: London isn't actually particularly snobby -- it's got a lot of history and culture, including the royalty, but most people there are middle to lower class because there are a very large amount of immigrants and tourists and other such people. The true upper crust usually go elsewhere.

7. silkfrog1292

I like London because of it's incredible mix of old and new, quirky and classy- you have traditions and places there that have remained practically unchanged since Tudor times or older; while you're also one of the world's leaders in pop culture. It's one of the few places on earth where you might find men wearing bespoke suits and Punkers on the same street.

Though my favourite European city would have to be Venice. It's truly a magical city.

8. ScatteredEarth

Hmm, well I would love to visit the country one day particularly Cambridge. I'm kinda an RS geek :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. FruitFly

It's just the city where everything happens, where resources are typically pooled and where the contrast between the deprivation scales (from least to most) are perhaps most clearly portrayed. Sometimes I feel people like it because it is viewed as the golden city full of quirky characters, opportunities and always at the forefront of everything. It has one of the greatest varieties of shops, cultures and general cooking pots of everything but it's also a hotbed for bedbugs, TB and a variety of other lovely things we'd previously viewed of as being pretty much a non-issue for the population at large.

It's the bewitching city with a disease riddled underbelly, and that sort of contrast is always fascinating for me.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    London is my favourite city in the world.

Samuel Johnson said it best:

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

11. Munyal

I like London because of the diversity and its accessibility. You can get everywhere by just walking, and do some great people-watching along the way.

12. leer

its big , crowded , expensive , full of crime cant stand the place

13. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    I adore London, but I'm a city boy at heart. But then I haven't lived in the truly rough parts, so perhaps I get a romanticised view. I just love how diverse a place it really is, and how it truly seems to be at the centre of the Earth, a meeting point for all walks of life. Plus, it's not a normal skyscraper city, it's architecture is unique and varying right across the city. It just is.

14. i hate london, i used to live just outside and only occasionally ventured into central london. too busy for my liking, manchester is so much better. everyone is so chill and walks so slow haha! its a nice change <3

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to see it for many reasons, shops, museums, culture, from high to 'low'. It also seems like a good place if you were into various fetishes, such as pup-play, and what not; the US seems much more vanilla in comparison. I always wonder why there seem to be so many kinky sorts there, and not here. Makes the US seem uptight, it does.

Though I'd like to see Berlin first, or even Vienna.

16. leer

manchester is so much better. everyone is so chill and walks so slow haha! its a nice change <3

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would like to see Manchester, too...one of my my favorite bands, Joy Division, was from there. And it does seem less posh, not so snooty, I'm thinking.

18. Willjarvis

I've only lived here and in London and I want to go back there. There are more jobs and more ways of meeting people.
    At the moment, I'm one of the most educated people I know because most of the people I associate with are other unemployed men. If I found a job here, my circle may expand to my colleagues within that company. And I'd should imagine it would stop there.
    In London and probably any sizable university town surely including Dublin and Manchester, there are more groups, societies and so on that meet based on common interests.

While I lived in London, I dreamt of buying a "manse" deep in the hills where I'd entertain myself. Failing that (which I am so far), I rather be surrounded and have choice of company.

19. MerBear

I dont like MAJOR cities or like places like london ....or paris...because its filled with tourists and I dont like places where there are a lot of tourists

20. Amerigo

you're from manchester what a surprise

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2013 at 09:20 PM ----------

i prefer st petersburg

---------- Post added 29th Jun 2013 at 09:20 PM ----------

florida