1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Disney will make a (cartoon) movie with gay/lesbian protagonist(s)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was thinking about how Disney movies have the standard man and woman fall in love (I actually think it gets a bit sexist) and go through a bunch of challenges to be together in almost all of their movies. I'd really like to see a gay or lesbian main character, who falls in love with another man or woman. Do you think it'll happen, and would you like to see it?

2. sexyalex

It's not impossible in the future. But for now, even Disney wouldn't be able to handle the controversy of a homo-couple in a major production. Not to mention, it would be bad for stocks and shareholders wouldn't be happy.

Disney may be in the business of inspiring. But it IS business nonetheless.

3. Candace

Not now BUT

What about DreamWork's the Road to El Dorado

Tulio and Miguel= definitely gay.

I think that DreamWorks WANTED that to happen, but took that out of the storyline before it even aired.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be a fresh change and a nice one to see. I don't think they will do it in the near future though, mainly because many people will not go watch, and all Disney is really in this for is money pretty much. There's still a chance I'm wrong though.

5. Diego89

I don't think I'll live to see that happening.

6. MerBear

not in my opinion. I feel some parents will they think they are encouraging same sex behavior and they will "turn" gay.

They think its probably too risky which is why the "good luck charlie" is only having one episode will 2 moms and they probably will not show the 2 moms that often due to "precautions" so their ratings wont go that low

7. Ticklish Fish

they took forever with a black female protagonist princess....

(and i still haven't watch that)

8. AlamoCity

When I originally watched this movie, I did not pick up on the subtleties. I must have been in denial or wearing blindfolds. Now I have to go back and watch the movie again!

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I actually can see it happening within the next couple decades. Disney is a business first and foremost, but part of their model does seem to include staying culturally relevant. With the increasing awareness of LBGTQ people around the world, I can see them tossing us a bone eventually, though it's probably still a few years down the line.

And I would almost certainly watch it.

10. TheMightyBoosh

Hmm... It would be great if they did but, i dunno
    I have my doubts about ever seeing that happen
    I just hope it does happen and i get to see it :rolle:

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Heard about that. I can't find any official sources but I've heard rumors that that was the case. Tulio and Miguel were supposedly meant to be a gay couple but somewhere along the line a female love interest was added and they became nothing more than platonic friends.

As for Disney... I can dream. With the growing awareness of the LGBTQ community (for one, Disney unofficially sponsors "Gay Days" at their parks), I believe, at the very least, we'll at least see an openly gay/lesbian minor character in one of their productions within the next few years.

Paranorman, after all, had an openly gay character and I honestly can't remember there being that big of a backlash concerning his presence in the movie. Obviously, Paranorman wasn't a Disney film but hopefully that'll open a few doors.

Personally, I'm just waiting for them to make a movie starring a daring, transmale swashbuckler. Not saying it'll happen anytime soon but a guy can dream... :icon_bigg

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jamon and Pumba (sp?) from the lion king raised simba and they were of the same sex and simba turned out to be great. So whose to say Disney won't do this? In the Disney Channel show Good Luck Charlie:
    so this might be a possbility

13. I dont think so I mean Disney is a corporation they do want to make money. Lets say roughly 10% of people are gay and not everyone in that group even cares about Disney. That is a mighty small target audience.

Plus they run the risk of offending a lot of people who think gay people are the spawn of satan. So as a business venture it makes no sense.

Be cool to see though!

14. justjade

ILIKECATS, ElPana, I totally agree. Oh, the subtle ambiguity. I definitely thought so when I saw Timon and Pumba, and I was a little kid and didn't even know gay people existed! Miguel and Tulio definitely had some kind of a-little-more-than-just-a-bromance thing going on.

Spongebob Squarepants kind of hints at some kind of homosexual connection between Spongebob and Patrick, too, now that I think about it.

MerBear, in reply to your post, what I hope is going on with that one is that they're testing the waters to see how that episode does. They might be wanting to introduce the first lesbian Disney princess or something. That would be cool. But if this episodes does well, they might start introducing more same-sex couples into the mix. That would be awesome. Guy's gotta dream. :grin:

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we'll see this eventually. It might not even be a major release, but I think we'll see something within the next 10 years.

16. justjade

I hope so! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

17. MerBear

Indeed we do but do remember, a lot of pre teens or teenagers mainly watch disney ...and i think, even if rating do go up......Complaints from religious or nonreligious parents might have a big impact on what they air because they do not want someone to sue them for some illogical reason.

18. biggayguy

Would love to see the Last Herald Mage books become an animated movie(s). Disney would do it right. I was thinking about Teddy Geiger to play Vanyel.

#18 biggayguy, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  19. justjade

I see your point, and I have to agree. I know that where I live, one of the churches got together and picketed the first night The Da Vinci Code was in theaters. They wrote letters to the local theater telling them not to show it beforehand. They might have picketed The Golden Compass, too.

I just hope this goes well and that enough people support same-sex characters on Disney to keep it going. As far as I'm concerned, those who would actually sue Disney over something like this can suck it. There have been same-sex relationships/hookups and transexual characters on network TV shows, so it might be possible for Disney to get away with this, too, although probably not yet. It's just a matter of time, IMO.

And when I used to read Seventeen, there was occasionally a lesbian love story or advice for young girls who were questioning their sexuality. I don't know anyone who's sued the magazine, but I know at least one person who withdrew her subscription and wrote the magazine a letter about how she was offended by the fact that they even mentioned same-sex romance.

Again, I really think it's just a matter of time. But that's just what I think.

20. MerBear

I hope it goes well too. I think disney is setting up an experiment here