1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotype that gay men like certain music OR liking a certain artists makes you"gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Has anyone else seen this it experienced this? It bothers me I was in the mall and I heard this group of guys like "ah man you like Britney Spears man you're a fag" I'm like ok..... So you guys would probably screw her but as to listening to her it makes you a "fag" why the fuck are straight guys SO Immature?! Like seriously I have never been That immature even as a child! I've noticed as I've gotten older how immature people are not just straight guys but anyone?! Like why are people so immature? Maybe becuase of my life I've had to be more mature than others I've lived pretty much on my own since I was 13, my partners are barley home so I had to make decisions myself. But jock type guys are just so immature the way they drink talk about sports and women it annoys me to where I want to yell STFU! Like when you are in public have a good time but not everyone needs to hear you or wants to. I would never yell out rude things like some people do! I've had people tell things at me like FAGGOT QUEER cock sucker from people who don't even know me becuase I Walk with my head held high. Becuase I wear sophisticated clothing I'm not wearing things that say rude things on it. Becuase I wear cashmere sweaters I wear GUCCI Louis Vuitton Versace prada Burberry it's ANOYING because I like fashion? Gosh I hate girls now to! I've havnt been on lately due to stress, I took my job back becuase I hated doing absolutely nothing except going out with friends..... Yes my friends annoyed me ill get to that later.

I took my job back it gave me something to do, but I hate it but I know I need to face things I hate! I know I don't need to work but I have chosen to again my parents are not happy that I work at McDonald's again but it's a job and it's not easy you know. My dad went and bought me all these books on business..... Is he trying to tell me something? I'm currently living at my golf course home to get away from my family they know I'm here but I need to not be around them I'm just so stressed. But my mom have me her range rover! I'm happy I said before my mother always gets a new vehicle she gets tired of them :/ but hey they didn't buy me a new one I wanted hers I really like it being te passenger isn't the same it's a great drive if you have a chance or the means get one.

But ya ill be on more again I think I'm just really tired a lot

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Re: Stereotype that gay men like certain music OR liking a certain artists makes you"

Yah that's dumb If I listed every song/artist that I like all together I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit any stereotype there is.

#2 kageshiro, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. srslywtf

Re: Stereotype that gay men like certain music OR liking a certain artists makes you"

I used to be really afraid of liking / wearing / doing certain things in case they made me 'look gay'. Those stereotypes suck. It's super-silly because I've always been so against all stereotyping.. I guess that one just helped me live in denial.. 'as long as I dont do X I'm not gay'

4. FRxEQxLO

Out Status:
    A few people

I know the feeling. for example, I was home schooled for two years, and then went back to my old school and old class, I was shocked by the immaturity and childness of them. I guess "In a group stupidity condenses."

In finland, being a stereotypia means being stupid, immature and childish. Well thats my view anyway.

5. King

King Guest

I kind of define the pop-music-loving stereotype... *cough*

Though I'm proud of the music I love and I'm invested in it a bit more than other pop fans. So it isn't all the glitz and glam of pop for me.

6. Cloud

If that's what people think they're completely wrong. Gay guys listen to just pop and stuff? No. Thrash Metal and Dubstep for me.

7. biggayguy

When I was in school you were suspect of being gay if you liked Twisted Sister or David Bowie; any kind of gender-bending group really.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Any kind of dance music gets people's minds going. I have been criticized for my musical tastes, and they are varied. However, heavy metal is not included, so there must be something wrong with me.

9. Re: Stereotype that gay men like certain music OR liking a certain artists makes you"

My taste in music is apparently why people never guessed I was gay...bit weird but okay. I can't stand musicals and I'm into a lot of gruff singers who sound like they walked out of a junkyard. (Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Nick Cave)

So yeah I like a lot of that clang boom and steam kinda stuff and gays are supposed to be into lady gaga I guess? Don't let it bother you too much in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

10. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Not stereotyping but i think that guys who like one direction is mostly gay, we all know that. There are certain artist that would really make people think youre gay, i mean, a straight as an arrow guy will never listen to boy bands like justin bieber or whatever

I never care about everyone thinks about the music i like, i dont care if they think coldplay is gay, cos im really gay! :grin: so why care?

11. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

Straight guys can listen to whoever the hell they want to, and so can gay men. It's only ignorance and stereotyping that encourages this kind of thought really. The first artist I ever heard of (i was pretty anti-social, anti-media at one point) was Lady Gaga, so i kind of ended up with her :3 Never looking back

Anyway now I listen to Japanese and French music more than english music, so most people are like either "thats weird" or "that's cool!"

On the topic of musicals... Idk what about being gay inclines someone to like Musicals but since I came out I've grown to be obsessed with them haha... I love dramatic things, and emotional things... Im really oversensitive to displaying emotions, so i often react more to things when compared to most people I know. Musicals just do it all xD music + story = too many feels.

I'd like to say that reaction to emotional stimuli and analysis/application to real life can be a sign of maturity and understanding... but i'm not sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If i go see a movie with my friends, all of our reactions differ; I might say; that was amazing! it really makes me want to analyze my relationship with my mother or something, while the rest were like; it was good. I liked that one part. In that aspect, I hate seeing movies with people because rarely can anyone relate to the topic as much as me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Maybe its a hidden sort of stereotype that maturity/understanding/sympathy play a role?

On another subject of music... I typically prefer female singers over male ones in any language. It simply comes down to the fact that I like pop music and all of its forms, and I think girls are typically better at doing it; have better voices for it. There are some guys with great voices, but there are imo more girls with AMAZING voices. My ipod is like 80% Female artists, 20% male, and no english speaking men haha

12. Beware Of You

I get asked if I like Justin Beiber alot, I can't stand him at all.

I am all into Paramore, New Found Glory, Greenday, Blink 182, Death in the Park etc.

I find the whole gay anthem idea moronic

13. Harve

From talking about stereotypes to the behaviour of straight guys to growing up to homophobia to fashion problems to life updates, all in one long paragraph YEP.

Most male Britney fans seem to be gay though, and that's an observation rather than a generalisation - there are obviously exceptions. But while a disproportionate number of gay guys may listen to trashy pop music, you can hardly say the inverse of my first statement: 'most gay men are fans of Britney', because there's so much variety in gay men and gay people's music taste (and it feels ridiculous just typing that because it's so evident).

That might not make any sense. Again.

14. AlamoCity

I like country and bluegrass and I'm sure other gay people do. I don't see myself as a stereotype smasher because a stereotype because I think it's not an accurate one. Sure, I'm certain many gay clubs and parties blast Top 40 music and dance stuff, but that's just one segment of the gay population. Many gays, including me, hate the club scene and the music.

I also hate music stereotypes based on race. Black kid listens to rap music: ghetto, inner-city; white kid listens to rap music: suburbia kid going through a phase. Give me a break; music affinity is not based on race (or gender, sexual orientation or country of origin).

I like what I like because I like it.

15. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

It made sense to me, don't worry ^_^

On the same line of thought, I think there are plenty of straight men who are afraid to listen to certain artists because they are perceived as "gay" artists... in that gay men like them. I have a straight jock friend who is madly in love with Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears, but I'm not too sure how much he would want to admit that.

I guess music is just another terrible misconception -.-

Also for the record, can't stand Britney.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wait, I thought Britney Spears OD'd.

17. KingdomKeyDK

I don't care if they care, but I am proud of liking Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande.

18. hkboy93

I think this is the only advantage of being Asian and not "flash gay" since Asian's love to wear flashy bright fashionable stuff even though ive seen homophobes here wear things highly questionable in western culture

19. photoguy93

First thing - why were you with straight men who would call you a fag? Ass holes just passing by? I sure hope they weren't friends....

Anyways, I love how everyone tries to kill the stereotype band wagon...but for reals, if you like Britney Spears to the extent that some of us do, you're probably gay. Lol. I don't see that as an insult. Come on, how the heck are we supposed to find each other?

20. FreeFlow9917

I used to think like straight people, than i realized i was gay, most think it's a decision to be gay so since we choose to be different, it gives them an excuse to target stereotypes because we choose to be gay. Some know it's not a choice, but use targeting gay stereotypes as a way to boost self-esteem for themselves and feel narcisstic. On the other hand, don't forget straight allies and people who don't give a shit if you're gay or not. Thats why they target stereotypes