1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working in another country for a year

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Jun 30, 2013.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Im basically interested in working abroad for a year, possibly starting in January but I have no idea of how to do this. I have heard of people working in Canada, Australia etc for a year. Do you have to have a certain skill or something in order to do it? Has anyone else on this site done this?

I would be grateful for any advice or input.

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know, Canada is looking for skilled immigrants. As in professionals.

A friend of mine did that in New Zealand, though. IIRC the only requisite was knowing English. The jobs offered sucked, though: she spent most of the year milking cows. Literally.

3. Hudson

Generally speaking, unless you intend on doing manual labor overseas (not recommended), you need to have some form of specialized skill - be it professional, medical, etc.

I'm currently considering accepting a job with one of the largest banks in Canada; however, I hold my BS and am working on my Graduates, and currently am a VP for a major bank here in the U.S., so I have a specialized skill and experience in a specific industry. I am also a Canadian citizen, so it makes it A LOT easier to just relocate over.

Generally speaking, this is the best way to attempt to accomplish this. Make sure you understand immigration requirements, as well, etc.

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Thanks for your advice guys.

I wouldn't mind doing manual labour. Wow that sounds awesome for you!

I guess that may have sucked but its still travelling. I might look into volunteering abroad too.

5. CTJ

CTJ

I would love to have a year working abroad, but i would have to quit my job in order to do it. So its really off the table for me :/

As far as i am aware, from people i know going abroad to work, you tend to need a profession or a trade in order to get the visa. I dont know whether you have anything that is needed for the countries you're looking at. Maybe get in touch with the nearest embassy and see what their requirements are?

6. starfish

With that spelling I really am surprised they'll let you into Canada :lol:

7. Hudson

Hey there, I know colour and labour and centre and the like are the official spelling in Canada.

However, I was born and raised in the U.S., so I have the affliction of U.S.-spelling. :wink:

8. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Yh quiting a job would be a big risk. Surely just for a year you wouldnt need a profession?

Haha thanks

There is probably a lot of words that are spelt differently.