1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Censorship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Fucking censorship.

When did we become afraid of words? Why are some words bad? What is so had about the word fuck? Why should children be protected from it? We give words power, they aren't inherently bad.

And why do we censor nakedness and sex? The shame etc associated with it is only exacerbated by society saying its something that must be hidden, and its only teaching people to hate their bodies.

Anyone agree?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it still a problem in Europe?

3. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

It's definitely irritating when you're listening to a song on the radio and half the song is absent due to the censors. I'm kind of worried that the US is heading towards the censorship of opinions. If we don't stand up to the oppression that the NSA is doing, the USA will end up like in 1984.

4. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of agree. I personally don't get why they are so against nudity and sex, when there is so much uncensored violence in movies and on TV.

5. BornInTexas

Summed up my thoughts in the first line.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree it's fucked up. I can see the effects of this silence in some of the things people say in the anonymous forum. They are so embarrassed. Profoundly embarrassed. And they feel wrong.

It's like, I remember reading something along the lines of "I play with my bum sometimes. Is that normal?"

I'm actually pretty angry that our society shames people so much they don't even feel safe to ask sexual health questions...

7. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    You sound just like a friend of mine. I agree that the censorship thing is a bit crazy. I never understood the thing about swear words. It always seemed like a game people were playing, making up words and then labeling them as "bad". Protecting kids from them. Why? What is so bad about them?

It bothers me how people censor nudity as well. Like some words aren't acceptable in our society. It's stupid.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear, you're fucking censorship? Hope you bought it dinner first :grin:

9. I never understood censorship since I never understood why some words are just not meant to be seen or heard on TV and books.

I actually don't get why killing, blood, and explosions are commonly present in PG-13 rated movies, while sex and nudity is in R-rated movies. Doesn't make sense because we have sex ed in middle school so we've seen everything but most of us would find death very disturbing.

At least most of us don't live in China because the citizens' speech is strictly censored so mainland China doesn't have websites such as Youtube and Facebook so they would find ideas of Democracy. So I find that it's a better idea to deal with the kind of censorship we have in the West instead of going without Facebook and Youtube.

#9 anthonythegamer, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  10. Amerigo

because it can be harmful. /thread.

now if it's the degree of censorship you're distressed over, that's a whole other issue.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Censorship exists because people can't govern themselves. Not everybody has a strong enough wisdom and maturity to deal freely with serious material. It is sort of a learned skill and requires a little bit of brainpower, something that not everyone has.

I understand censorship for kids; sometimes they're just not ready to deal with things in any other way than knowing to stay away from them. But sooner or later, the time comes to grow up and deal with a grown-up world in a way that doesn't involve fingers in ears or recitation of "LALALALAA!".

12. FreeFlow9917

The FCC or the way Eminem says it in his song "Without Me"
    I think censorship is a good and bad thing, but the question is, why are cuss words bad in the first place. Where did the term Fuck come from, i mean to express anger is one thing, but it's not defining censorship, it's understanding why these words are censored it the first place
    What makes a bad word "bad" like shit, jackass, whore, and fuck. Were they really curse words, like that one episode of South Park

But ask yourself this, why is a bad word bad, and why does it need to be censored, is it following the freeom speech to a certain extent, i have absofuckingly no idea why

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 100% opposed to censorship. I think that if something is being recorded, or written, or filmed, then it should be viewed or taken in in full. Because the person who made it has something to say. You can agree with it, disagree with it, think your young children aren't ready for certain things, but I think it's wrong to change another persons creation.

15. srslywtf

But then if you approach it from a psychological/neurological/linguistic perspective,

if words aren't censored, eventually they will lose their strength of force. It's already almost acceptable to say cunt, and that's about the strongest word we have in our language. There's no reason why it is that way. Pussy has exactly the same meaning, but holds none of the force. Cock is pretty acceptable nowadays. Far more so. Probably gender bias that left female organs last to be normalized.. .BUT:

I think it's important that there is some limitation placed upon the use of strong language not for any moral reason, but so that it remains strong.

Interestingly none of the words I mentioned were censored. lol.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^I think "cunt" is more offensive than "pussy" only because it sounds much uglier. And it has no other meaning, unlike pussy which can also mean "weakling" or "cat" despite the latter falling into disuse recently. It's almost as if it's purposely designed to sound repulsive XD.

And about your point on losing force, that's all about the frequency of use. Look at how much people are using and abusing the word "epic" recently. It used to only apply to things that were barely conceivable in their scope-- space, oceans, and superhuman heroics taking place over long periods of time. Now, anything cool is "epic" and the word has been cheapened by excessive supply and low demand for the original meaning.

^^That doesn't mean we should bleep out any instance of its use, though. It just means we should teach people when and where it should be used.

17. Jonathan

I think George R. R. Martin expresses it pretty well... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is ridiculous that in a docu about some indiginous people even the parts of little kids are made invisible with little blocks.

There is nothing wrong with seeing people in the nude.

19. Hexagon

I don't know if its true, not being in the US, but I was told that Pussy Riot's name was censored on US news.