1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why so much hating to say Im gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brave, Jun 30, 2013.

1. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As I go through the forum Im getting really confused sometimes....since when ppl start to not wanting to as they say putting lable and not wanting to define their sexuality...isnt it more confusing when you r nothing....sexuality is part of who u are and even if you dont want to say it it has a name so why u dont want to define,its easier?
    :smilewave

2. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    For some, it's because their sexuality is fluid, or they are trying to say that it doesn't define who they are. For me personally, I feel that labels are like sticking yourself in a box and putting a lid on it. I've been confined by closets all my life, I don't want a label now.

I don't think I articulated that very well... sorry, I'm just a bit tired. Maybe I'll come back later and try to explain that better. I'm sure others have much better ways of putting it.

3. LD579

Labels can be harmful. They can also be helpful. Mostly, though, people think they have to have a label, when they really don't.

With that said, I like labels for myself. They work for me, and that's the most important thing.

4. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Luthan,what do you mean by "labels work for me"? Give me more details :slight_smile:

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chickenlover has hit the head on the nail quite well. Certainly, I personally, don't like labels because I have two that can really hurt me and that people use to make fun of me. I'm not oh that gay kid or oh that Cerebral Palsy kid. I'm just Randall. This world can be divided into so many categories and within those categories are many people. This creates a sense of elitism, the notion of labels, and that's not right. We're each our own person and should be treated as such.

6. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Chickenlover, thats the thing that's conusing me,how can you sat gender doenst matter.?.. who you have sex with- doesnt matter....how's that? If you are born male or female it matters....otherwise it all becomes a mess and how you live like that?
    I dont mean to offend you,Im just honest!

#6 brave, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  7. AlamoCity

For me, the label "gay" is appropriate because I don't identify any other way. That said, I have issues saying, "I'm gay" to others because of psychological reasons. Usually, it's easier for me to say that I like guys than to say "I AM GAY."

8. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ilikecats,I agree that if label is meant to offend you its not cool

9. LD579

Labels work for me because I don't feel constrained by them. I feel comfortable saying that I'm gay. I feel comfortable saying that I'm a guy.

It's easier for me to say that than to say that I enjoy dating and having sex with guys and that I was a male who identifies as a male. As you can see, the latter option is lengthier, and I'd rather save my breath.

Also, I have a fondness for labels... of many things. I like to categorize things.

And as you say later here...
    For some, it doesn't matter. For some, it matters, but they don't like or need or want labels. It's quite simple, really. If you like labels and are comfortable with them and aren't constrained by them, they may be useful and helpful to you.

10. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in a different environment I guess....

11. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Don't worry, you're not offending me! I find it great that you're asking so many questions. What I mean is that we're all just people. You start splitting people up by gender and suddenly there's sexism everywhere. Something that works for cisgendered people is hard on trans* people, things that work for male identifying individuals can be discriminating against females. As for the whole sex issue - well, I know I am attracted to people with certain characteristics, ones that would generally have them labelled as women. I don't need to know they're women to be attracted to them. I fall for a person, not a category. Am I making sense?

Not everyone is born male or female. A lot of people struggle with their gender identity. That's really why gender shouldn't matter. People are just that, people.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 08:32 PM ----------

And by the way, this is all my opinion. Feel free to disagree. :slight_smile:

12. brave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok ppl are just ppl,but there are differnces between us,you can't deny that. we're not all the same. I'm hearing this things for first time,and you know a lot of ppl dont think that way.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

And gender matters if it dont matters,why so many ppl want to change their gender?

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 08:05 PM ----------

And physiologically we are born women and men,whether we like it or not

13. hoperidesalone

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is true that everyone isn't the same and people identify in many different ways. This may or may not include using a label to do so. Some people don't feel comfortable using a label, and that is perfectly fine. Honestly, I think that any label you have should be for you, and if you find a label to be too restricting it's perfectly fine to not have one.

Also, I think what Chickenlover meant by saying some people aren't born male or female is that there are people who don't fit in the gender binary. ((Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, I definitely don't want to be putting words into anyone's mouth!))