1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Trips!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Candace

What is the longest distance you've been in a car in one day, and from where to where?

Me:

682 miles/ 1097.5 km

Sunrise, Florida to Decatur, Georgia

I realized from that day forward that Florida seems to go on and on and on and on

It literally takes 6 1/2 hours to leave it from Miami -_-

2. Steelers91

Barrie, ON to Myrtle Beach, SC

970 mi 17 hours

It's a pretty drive but after about 8 hours you start to go a bit crazy.

3. Amerigo

my house --> nice, france: it took us like 16 hours for some reason, longer than expected. 901 miles. the south of france is a whole different world to the north.

4. yidnah87

My two longest one-day car trips, they came VERY close!:

Charlottesville, VA to Naperville, IL: 816 miles, 12:20

Sun City Center, FL to Richmond, VA: 814 miles, 12:19

5. AlamoCity

Beaumont, TX to Orlando, FL. According to Mapquest, it's 882 miles.

Our family traveled for Spring Break to Disney World about 6 years ago (mom and sister won't fly). It took two days. Day 1 was from San Antonio, TX to Beaumont, TX, which was only 283 miles and on Day 2 we traveled the remaining distance.

The second longest was when we went from San Antonio, TX, to Red River, NM/Taos, NM, for skiing. That trip was done in one day and was around 808 miles. This was the first time I saw snow, and did I make an ass of myself skiing.

(These were family trips, so the burden of driving was shared and no one drove the entire distance.)

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is too weird. Beaumont TX is one of the endpoints of such treks for me.

Have several, and by myself in a car that had in excess of 100,000 miles, too:
    Fort Lauderdale FL to Pensacola FL - you can't cut over diagonally!
    Beaumont TX to Las Cruces NM
    Denver CO to Booneville MO
    Indianapolis IN to northern New Jersey (NYC metro area) - it was captivating to see the Manhattan skyline to my right from the NJ Turnpike, knowing I was within 30 minutes of my destination.

Beaumont TX - just wow, I pulled in at night and stayed in a cheap chain motel because I didn't want to be in enormous Houston - there were bars everywhere, unlike other motels which belong to this chain. I could hear all this talking outside the door, at all hours of the night, by some thuggish sounding people. The next morning, when I got up, I got to see the motel area I had picked, and was glad to be on the on-ramp away from that place!

#6 Tightrope, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  7. Candace

That's why I hate when people ask me "what's the worst state to drive through?"...Florida hands down. From once you get into the state on I-75 (from Georgia), you're at Milemarker 470. The FL turnpike is at 328 (142 miles), then it's 255 miles to my relative's house in Sunrise, Fla. so...that's 397 miles in all....and it's STILL 185 miles to Key West (which now makes it 582 :dry:slight_smile:

Florida is like the Energizer Bunny...it keeps going, and going, and going, and going...

and I see you took I-10 across Texas from Beaumont to Las Cruces, NM?

I've always wanted to see if I could drive all 880 miles of Texas on I-10 in one day....the speed limit in the western part is like 80-85 anyway :grin:

#7 Candace, Jun 30, 2013
  8. AlamoCity

Wow. We stayed at Motel 6 because I was using my brand new 1st generation iPod touch and used it to make reservations on the road because we didn't know how tired we would be. We stopped at a McDonald's to eat (and use the Wi-Fi to make the reservations, it was an iPod not iPhone) and used the Motel 6 website to get the best rate (I usually handle all of the logistics and I am a scrooge on certain things, especially lodging where the only purpose is to sleep for a few hours).

I swear the same thing happened. It was on a bad location, the night manager had an aloof mentality (20-something-year-old girl who probably wanted to be partying at 9PM Friday than working) and there were also "thuggish sounding people." I learned my lesson and now I only book after I scope the location (Google Street View) and read reviews. If I was traveling alone, I wouldn't really mind again for a quick rest stop, but I didn't like it because I was with my parents and sister and with them, I like to take all the precautions possible.

9. Candace

I stayed at a Motel 6 in Beaumont as well (off of the I-10 frontage road) :O...and it was thuggish!! :eek:

10. AlamoCity

Wow. That's creepy.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's tiring, but I think the drive across the top of FL on I-10 where the terrain actually rolls and it's really piney is decent. I think crossing Texas, continuing on I-10, is tougher. The western half is so sparsely populated. It was late May, and a hot sunny day turned into a hail storm which I feared would break the windshield. In the middle of nowhere, I was able to pull off in a tiny town and huddle with other cars in an underpass and wait out the storm.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2013 at 10:09 PM ----------

That was the motel chain at which I stayed, unless Beaumont-Port Arthur TX has several exits and multiple motels within this brand. This was a while ago. I have heard that this area is rough. It was at night, and I was tired and was falling asleep, with no patience to try to figure out Houston at about 11 pm.

12. AlamoCity

Three people from across the US in one thread who stayed at the same motel. That takes the cake.

I looked it up for nostalgia's sake and I think they've since renovated it. They even have a video about it.

Motel 6 Beaumont Hotels : Motel 6 Locations in Beaumont, TX : Motel6.com

It's the first one that has the yellow "Video Tour" button. I guess they finally had enough complaints and decided to renovate it completely.

13. Candace

I was in Beaumont in April 2005. I think it's this one, but they have probably renovated it

Studio 6 Beaumont, TX Hotel - Beaumont, TX - Motels & Hotels

14. AlamoCity

Yeah, it looks a lot nicer than when we were there, but that's not saying much ( we didn't stay there for the return leg of the trip).

15. Gallatin

I think the longest single-day drive I've been on was Gatlinburg, TN to Gettysburg, PA. According to Google, it's around 513 miles/8:15 hours.

If it counts, I also did Orlando-Tallahassee round-trip in one day, which equaled about 532 miles and around 8 hours of drive time.

We're a deceptively long state. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And you're only thinking about Miami to the Florida/Georgia border at I-75 or I-95... think about Miami all the way to Pensacola. Now that's long.

Yeah, that drive is pretty nice (and really quiet, too - not a lot of other cars around).

#15 Gallatin, Jun 30, 2013
  16. Foxface

You ever driven in North Dakota and Montana?

ND is endless road and has zero scenery...no joke

As for one day trip was like 16 hours for me

Minot, ND to Chicago, IL is horrible winter weather

Foxface

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, from about Tallahassee all the way to the AL border, which is about 200 miles, and the road also keeps gently curving in addition to having hills. After having been to Miami a few times, I has NO idea that Florida had parts that looked like this. And the crossing over the bay into Pensacola is the highlight.

18. Candace

Yes! I've driven up to western ND, and picked up I-94 to go to Billings (also been up through Missoula and Glacier NP...Montana is huge too)

I don't think that ND has no scenery. I like the idea of nothingness...it's good for clearing the mind (better than endless billboards and strip malls like here in Georgia haha)

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2013 at 02:34 AM ----------

Key West to Pensacola is 885 miles (about the length of I-10 across Texas)...and Pensacola is an hour behind Tallahassee.

19. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2312 miles in five days.

Norman, OK (home) - Denver, CO - Monument Valley, UT - Flagstaff, AZ (Grand Canyon) - Santa Fe, NM - Norman, OK (back home).

20. Hexagon

My dad (with me in the car) once drove from southern spain to northern france in about 22 hours. I looked it up on google maps, and it looks to be about 1500 km