1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how well does my voice "pass"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DarkSarah417, Jun 30, 2013.

1. DarkSarah417

####### | Voice message
    I was trying to get my voice sounding feminine. I know it isn't perfect yet, but could you tell me how close I am please? I haven't started on any hormone treatment yet. And also I'm Australian, so I won't sound American.

2. Gen

Gen

First off, Welcome To EC. ^_^

In my honest opinion, your voice does sound soft and feminine, but still slightly more on the male side than female. I automatically recognized those characteristics because I have a very soft and 'light' tinge to my voice as well. The biggest thing that I have noticed is when most people try to sound like the opposite gender, they often try to make the women too feminine and men too masculine. With the vast majority of either gender, there is really only a subtle difference in tone that hints at the gender of the speaker. Its similar to how the voice of a masculine female may be deeper than a feminine male, but still sounds more female than male.

Though I am sorry to say that I am very limited in the advice I can give on how to help, but I still wanted to share my opinion.

3. Amerigo

i agree with above, there is a hint of "male", but you have a soft relaxed voice and the way you said 'feminine' i thought sounded very feminine indeed. i actually don't think you're too far off from sounding how you'd like, like i can picture a girl saying that sentence

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounded feminine to me. It sounded very relaxed, and not like you were forcing it at all. You have a lovely voice, and welcome to EC :slight_smile:

5. DarkSarah417

Thanks so much! It means a lot to me what you all said. And thanks for the advice. I just tried softening my voice and that's the result

6. AlamoCity

It sounded lovely and feminine :slight_smile:.

7. DarkSarah417

8. I was just wonderin' how my voices sounds too... I'm open to criticism, or suggestions for improvements! ####### | Voice message

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're passing, alright! I'd have to say I'm a bit jealous, even. :icon_wink

There's work to be done, but you're probably closer to the finish line than not. :eusa_clap

10. RainyViolinist

To be frank, I think it still needs some more work. It might just be my sensitive hearing, but there's a slight rasp in your voice that makes me believe that it is a male speaking. It is very effeminate, though. Although I'm no expert in vocal transitioning, if that's an actual term, maybe you should try speaking quietly, then progressively speaking a little louder. I find that if I try to speak "like a girl", its much easier to sound like one if you speak quietly because it's harder to tell the nuances between whether it's a male or female voice. Keep practicing, though. I'm sure your voice will match who you truly are in due time :slight_smile:(*hug*).

11. Got ya, yeah... haha I didn't realize how loud I was. I guess if I attempt to sound quieter, and deliberately focus on that... it won't sound so "forced"..

Practice makes perfect! :icon_bigg

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your voice is great actually :slight_smile: The only problem is the slight bit of resonance to it, or as RainyViolinist said, a rasp (I think it's just the tone that's low enough to hear the distinct vibrations). Usually a girl's voice, no matter the pitch, has a quality that even the most talented males can't match. We just have unsuitable vocal assemblies for making that small voice.

I'm not sure if it's fully convincing, but if I didn't know you were a transwoman and had no reason to question it, I think it would work. :slight_smile:

#12 Argentwing, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013