1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accents Thread (with voice files)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 1, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

NOTE:
    We've had accent threads before, but we've never had them with voice files to go along with them. Thanks to a great thread [http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/99599-how-well-does-my-voice-pass.html] and the fact that she already sought permission from the Admins. [http://emptyclosets.com/forum/empty-closets-help-feedback/99583-voice-passing-thread.html], I decided that maybe we should do this again.

The Admin. recommended ####### | Online voice recorder for this. It's easy to use and can create a voice file using your computer's microphone.

I suggest you say something short, maybe what your accent sounds like or what you think it sounds like.

Here's mine to begin: I think I have a Spanish/Southern accent and androgynous sounding voice (at least when I was little, people would confuse me with my mom on the phone).

This is my voice file: ####### | Voice message

Can't wait to hear all of y'alls.

2. Jonathan

We actually had a thread awhile ago where people were recording themselves (using the same exact site if I remember right) so that other members could hear what they sound like. However, after spending some time searching, I can't find it. So unless the mods want to find and link to it, I guess we could always use another one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. evora

This is a great thread!:slight_smile: I'd love to do this but I'm afraid I might not sound very good. My accent would be too Eastern European.:icon_sad:
    Anyway...My voice is kind of low but not too low so I could definitely not be mistaken for a man because I think I sound feminine (but I'm not sure).

4. Hexagon

####### | Voice message Thats mine. I'm not fond of my natural accent, it seems boring to me. But I do believe I sound 100% male, although I didn't really need reassuring of it.

5. DarkSarah417

6. AlamoCity

You have a pretty different accent, I wouldn't call it boring. All I can tell is that you're from Earth :roflmao:.

Also, I did this thread particularly for the accents, not so much the gender of our voices; that's more in honor of the user (DarkSarah417) who inspired me to do this.

As I said before, you have a lovely, feminine voice, although I didn't pick up the Australian part (I'm very bad with accents).

#6 AlamoCity, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Oxelotl

9. Hexagon

I know, but one of the most important things about my voice to me is that it sounds male. As for my accent, I suppose its a non-regional general british accent. It often labels me as kind of... odd, because it isn't regional, and its quite middle class.

10. KazTastic

11. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    It sounds ever so slightly regional to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , but maybe that's because I'm comparing it to my even worse non-regional accent >.< yuck yuck yuck my voice. :bang:

12. Hexagon

Where? As in, what region?

13. SchwulIstCool

That's the thing, I can't tell. XD I may be wrong, I just thought it sounded less 'middle class posh standard' than me. :/

14. Hexagon

Hehe. Yeah, I've been working on sounding less middle class. Maybe its paying off. I suppose if anything, it might be a bit london-ish. Despite never having lived there. I lived in somerset till I was seven, but it was a small village in which no one was actually from somerset, then I moved to spain. So I've really been prevented from developing an accent naturally.

Anyway, you should post one so that I can tell the difference.

15. Harve

Mine's a bit more regional but it's still not that strong!

####### | Voice message

I never like my voice but it sounds particularly awful there... I'm blaming the shite microphone. :grin:

16. SchwulIstCool

Very Glaswegian :wink:

It would be nice to have a proper accent for a change though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (and sorry, I'm on my tablet, I can't upload sound files and stuff :frowning2: )

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    meh...I'm on my shit laptop which doesn't have a microphone :frowning2: But I'll think of something and post it later

18. AlamoCity

What does "middle class" mean? Here in the US I think we have more of regionalisms of languages and word choice that would dictate how a person sounds. Someone with a very thick Southern accent might be construed as uneducated by many. Diction also plays a role on how you are perceived; if you use uncommon contractions like "ain't" you might be looked down as poor or uneducated.

Regarding accents, I for one want to lose my Spanish accent in my English speech and my English accent in my Spanish speech, but I think I need to work more on that.

19. Hexagon

There is a class system left over from a darker time which is partially socially immobile. It has economic associations, but they're more to do with the social status of your family. And there are certain accents associated with certain classes.

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2013 at 02:59 PM ----------

Alright, maybe I do. I have self-doubt issues. That does sound male right? Be honest.

20. biggayguy

I posted in the wrong thread apparently. This is my voice from SW Ohio. ####### | Voice message