1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you know your Neighbours?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clarkec1, Jul 1, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Some people do, some people don't. More specifically, how many of your neighbours do you know?

I know two older women that live 2 and 3 doors away. My parents know these other people at the bottom of the road. I think that my parents know some other people at another house, I'm not sure if I've met them though. There's this other couple with two teenage girls that seem quite nice. Not sure if we actually know them, but once when I was in the car, the mum looked in our car and sort of smiled. We know a man at another house - actually I didn't know that I knew him, but once I saw him waving at me frantically, so I thought it would be best to wave back. He has a wife, but we don't know her (she's not very nice), and he has a son. I know my friend and his parents down the road. I know this other woman with a dog, I know my next door neighbours, my next door neighbours but 2 - who happens to be my crush's house. I obviously have met my crush, but we don't talk now, we didn't fall out, but we were young. I know his ister, and don't to her either, but we have met. I know their mum who is quite nice, I occasionally say hi to her. I don't know their dad though. I'm pretty sure than I know my next door neighbour but 1, and somebody else, but I can't confirm it.

So yeah. I know a lot of my neighbours.

Do you know any of yours? What are they like, what do you think of them? Do they like you?

2. King

King Guest

I don't know them. Once we moved to the house we're in now three years ago, my mom made a decision to not get close to our neighbours because she didn't want people to be in our business... She's polite to them but doesn't say much to any of 'em.

I sort of followed her in that sense. I ain't got time to have meaningless chat with them.

3. MerBear

No, i do not. I mean, they try and talk to me...but i never talk back.
    I don't like them except for one because we have hispanics (no offense) up the street who like to throw a party for anything. no matter what day and play music ..so fucking loud. They like to think, they can park wherever they want

and because of THEM, my dad and other people are paying more than the house is worth because our neighborhood looks like complete shit.

4. BornInTexas

I know one of my neighbors reasonably well. She has a three year old grandson, and he occasionally plays with my little brothers out in the yard.

My mom invites my neighbor and her husband over to eat sometimes, and I don't talk very much. I just listen to what they say, etc. So, it's more of I-know-her, but she-doesn't-know-me thing.

5. Hefiel

My family has a good relationship with 4 of our neighbors.

One of my neighbor's daughter used to babysit me and my younger sister when we were younger. I went to primary and secondary school with another one of my neighbor's daughter as well. I also have a catholic orthodox neighbor, usually every year his family gets together and cook a whole lamb and some sausages, and they bring some to us as well.

I recall a year when there was a huge snowstorm (that was before we hired a company to take care of the snow for us) and one of our neighbor just casually came by our house with his snow blower and cleaned everything because he felt like it.

It's a nice neighborhood as far as I'm concerned. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Nope. They know me because of my parents. Not sure if they know that I am gay or not, honestly, and that intimidates me. I don't care about coming out to them because... don't know them or plan on getting to know them... ever.

They came over on memorial day for a barbeque, and I am just so awkward since I came out because I don't know who I can be myself around>.> It's only around adults (like 40+) though. I can be myself around anyone from like 1-30, or really anyone who is very obviously liberal minded. Maybe I'm afraid of rejection from strangers, or that I set myself up in situations where I am not discriminated against subconsciously :O *epiphany moment* To think about it, I really don't ever get made fun of for my sexuality/acts... Even though in conservative missouri, there are plenty that would do so! It could also explain why I'm so eager for someone to say something negative/homophobic to me, because it never happens...
    Wow, my whole mind is blown :3 The reason for my selective behavior makes sense now...

Anyway yeah, i dont know my neighbors, and im awkward around certain adults.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know my neighbours yet (moved in recently) but one of them left a perfectly good small filing cabinet to be thrown away (July 1st is a big moving day here in Montreal)...so I took it...thanks neighbour! :rolle:

8. The username

In all my old neighborhoods we knew our neighbors quite well.

I've been invited to street parties - there is always fireworks at the end of the street on the 4th of July (different from the neighbor hood display) - but I never go (just don't feel like being social).

So only my next door neighbor do I really know. I take care of her dogs when she is out of town, and she is good friends with my mom. My other neighbors, as I said, I never really put in effort to meet. My mom knows most people on our street, though.

#8 The username, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. Hexagon

No. I do know the next door's cat, to a point, though. We call her Nemesis, because of her rivalry with my cat. I think that the people on the other side are muslims, because thats what my mother calls them, and she dislikes it when people complain loudly about halal slaughter in the back yard. Apart from that, the only people I know are some of the kids from a family a few hundred meters along the street. They keep losing to me at monopoly.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I don't make an effort, either. I can sort of tell I don't feel much chemistry toward them. And that has been an "on and off" switch. In two places I've lived, I knew almost all of the neighbors within 2 or 3 residences of me and I liked them. And the neighbors knew that I lived alone, and I didn't care what they thought one way or the other, nor did they inquire or make any comments. In other places, people just minded their own business. It's just a matter of luck and chemistry.

11. Split Arrows

I would like to, but none of my neighbors speak English.

12. Ticklish Fish

13. Batman is swag

I live next to a cemetary. It's nice. No loud parties until 1am, no asking to borrow stuff... And we can use their yard for playing Kick the Can and Ghost in the Graveyard. =P

14. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know most of my neighbors, but only on the surface. I know there names and I usually have small talk, but most of my neighbors are elderly people and hardly no kids my age so...
    Recently some moved in to the house next door. It's a single mom and two teenage boys. I tried saying hello and making small talk, but they ignored me :$

When I think about it... I hardly don't know my neighbors very well. What if they do hardcore drugs or are child molesters 0.0

15. justjade

One of our good friends moved into our neighborhood, but really, he's the only one I know.

We're still waiting on our bad neighbors to move. I'm pretty sure they deal drugs, and they never watch their kids while they're playing outside. They're always cussing and yelling at their kids. They were given an eviction notice almost a month ago, so they should be leaving any day now.

16. Hexagon

Oh yeah, I saw your post about holding a going away celebration. :slight_smile:

17. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have never even seen most of my neighbors

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All of them, cause they all come in the garage where I work...
    Went to school with their kids and such. Pretty small town.

The fact that people speak a different language is a weird excuse, imo.
    A smile and a wave goes a long way. You can offer some fruit from your tree or whatever. There is always something you can do to let them know you are okay with them. Telling your name and asking theirs is easy to understand, whatever language they speak.

19. FruitFly

In a way. I live in a small avenue, and each Christmas everyone exchanges cards and they all stop and chat when you're trying to get to work and/or get your frozen items into the freezer because you've just stepped off the 15 minute bus journey and can feel how squishy some of them are getting.

It helps that most of them have young children who are constantly knocking on the door for help with their bicycles, deflated balls and broken dolls. They force interaction between the neighbours, especially if their child is bawling because of a cut knee and we have to take them back to their parents because they refuse to walk back across the street alone.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I unfortunately know both of my next door neighbors.

On one side, we have these crazy pot heads who have a really obnoxious kid. But thanks to them, I'll be getting a new quarter panel on my car because of a fight they had in the street a few weeks ago over "baby mama drama." On the other side, there's these two old people who constantly drink and fight, and I've had the misfortune of seeing the old lady wearing nothing except a bra and underwear more than once... :eek: