1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent homophobes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theirises, Jul 1, 2013.

1. theirises

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was looking in a magazine and there was a page about a 12 year old boy that was trans(mtof). I decided to show my mom to see how she thought of it. She said it was sad and she would be disgusted to e the parent of the boy. I lost a huge chunk of respect fir her. Should I ever come out to my mom? :help:

2. Hexagon

That isn't homophobia, thats transphobia. And while I understand you mean no offence, they way you describe the situation is offensive. A 'mtof' is a girl, not a boy. As for whether you can ever come out to her, I don't know. Try to find out what she thinks about gay people. And then decide whether you want to come out. When you're older and financially independent (my apologies if you already are), then it doesn't matter as much if she rejects your sexuality.

3. theirises

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't know that was offensive. Sorry. And thanks.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not offensive it's ignorant. I'm sure there's things you don't now about. Clearly the person making the thread is not transphobic as they said they lost respect for their mother for being transphobic. I didn't know anything about transgender people before I got to this website as no one I knew ever talked about it. I personally experience ignorance on homosexuality from my friends. I don't get "offended" I just correct them.

5. Hexagon

Look, I'm sorry if I came across as too harsh. I was trying to correct without seeming attacking. And frankly, it is offensive to be misgendered. Its also hurtful and demeaning. I know it was borne out of a lack of knowledge rather than an intent to be offensive, which is why I said so.

I didn't accuse the poster of being transphobic. I was trying to highlight the difference between a transphobic person and a homophobic person - the OP's mother might not be homophobic, which would be good for her.

6. Beware Of You

They may act differently, alot of people don't try to understand it because it is not "happening to them" , people are ignorant.

My Dad was mildly homophobic, but having to work with a gay guy broke his misconceptions. When I came out he did his best to understand what it is like to me, how he can help me etc. He loves me unconditionally

Hopefully your parents may be the same, they may not know about Transexuality because they have never really had a need to understand it, its happening to someone they love and care about therefore they may change their conceptions about it.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I've known of people who were homophobic but not transphobic, and others who were the other way around. They are two very different things, but it seems many would have them placed in the same category, since LGBT folk in general blur gender lines, whether it be whom you sleep with or how you present.

I personally think trans is harder for more people to comprehend and accept, both within and outside of LGBT, and if you're both...

8. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

and, i'm sorry, just to add to what hexagon said, it is one of my biggest pet peeves when someone tells another person what is acceptable and what is not to be offended by. the op's mother's comments WERE offensive and demeaning, but it was clear she didn't share her opinion with her, and i didn't see hexagon say anywhere that he thought she DID.

seriously, gibson, i am sure you haate it when straight people say you are being "too sensitive" as they love to do when bigotry rears it's head. that's how we feel when a cisperson says the same thing to a transperson (and also just because someone is apart of the LGBT community doesn't give them the go ahead to speak on our behalf, just saying).

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've also heard from ignorant straight cispeople that trans men and women were simply homosexuals who were too afraid to come out as gay... if I hadn't had a "derp" moment right then and there from shock, I'd have been fuming.

10. Hexagon

Funny, that. Since I actually did come out as gay before I transitioned. lol.

11. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

@gravechild,

omg, i know! god some people are dumb. in fact, even though i have known i was a girl since my earliest memory (approx age 4) and wanted to transition since i found out it was POSSIBLE (age 16) i initially came out as gay (at age 17). i reaaallly really wanted to say "I want to transition" and i aaalmost did, but i couldn't get the words out and i thought it would be too much for people to handle so i just said "I'm gay", cuz guess what? coming out and BEING gay is a lot less scary than it is to be trans. a LOT less.

Well, that lasted for about a month. 1 month after i said i was gay i started my transition process, came out the RIGHT way, and have never looked back. i didn't do this cuz i like guys, it has nothing to do with that. i did this cuz i couldn't bear the thought of living as one.

And one more thing. not all trans people are straight. there are maany gay transpeople as well.

12. Sarcastic Luck

-hand raise- If all my musings are correct, and I choose to transition, I'd be gay, since I'm quite attracted to men.

13. Hexagon

Yeah, me too. I just like everyone.

14. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Yes you would be gay and trans, a double whammy :wink: