1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deceit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Are you a good liar? Are you good at making up lies on the spot? Why do you think you're a good/bad liar? And how do you perceive the ethics of deceit?

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

it depends on the person and the circumstances. total strangers who mean nothing to me? i can lie through my fucking teeth and make up the most realistic complex sheeit out of NOWHERE, for reaaals XD sometimes i shock myself with what i come up with, lololz XD.

if it's someone close to me, no. i can't lie. i aaalways fold cuz i freak that they are reading me and i am just making a fool of myself. luckily the majority of the time i don't really care if people know the truth, cuz i don't really hide much.

i think....really, as long as you aren't doing it to hurt another person and just making your life a little easier, there is no harm in lying, really. if it hurts others then yes it is wrong but otherwise no.

3. AlamoCity

I am a creatively good liar, in the sense that I can conjure up stories based on the knowledge I've accumulated. The problem is, I have a bad poker face. I start to smile a lot when I lie. My mom says my eyes sparkle when I lie and have a big grin.

I think lying is acceptable in certain situation. When my grandmother, who is 94 and has Alzheimer's, asks me when her mom and dad are, I tell her they went to the farmhouse to milk the cows or something. I think lying or deceit is also acceptable when it's for the "greater good," although I struggle with this because I sometimes wonder who if any should decide what the "greater good" is. But in general, I believe white lies are acceptable.

4. Hexagon

I'm a very good liar. I don't feel guilty at lying most of the time, I can come up with realistic shit easily enough, and the facial expressions involved come easily to me. Lying is just natural to me, and in some ways it makes me feel safe, because if I'm not honest about myself, I'm less vulnerable. This is particularly true in cases of disclosing my trans history, but also in other cases, such as talking about my past, or my interests etc.

I think lies can be ethical or ethically neutral in some cases, and un-ethical in others. I think political honesty is important. I think honesty with those who's trust I value is important. But sometimes lying to prevent pain can be a good think. And lying, when no one is adversely affected, to make my own life easier is fine. I do it all the time. And as Alamo said, lying for the greater good is acceptable. (Answer, I decide what the greater good is. I don't mean that in a god-complex way, but that I would hardly lie for a greater good that I think is bad.)

5. Naren

If the subject doesn't make me feel bad about lying, I am a very good liar.

6. Hexagon

Also, I don't evade. People seem to go to ridiculous lengths to avoid lying by making more-or-less true statements that suggest the opposite is true, or simply avoid giving a direct answer. I don't do this. If I want to say I didn't steal a cookie, I'll say so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Beware Of You

I learnt to be, I lied to my parents so much about what happened at school, about my sexuality, my feeling etc.

I didn't need to, they were hurt when they found out I hid my true self from them when I was growing up, I love them I shouldn't have done that. My Dad said I could have spoken to them about anything growing up and they would love me regardless.

Sorry this has got me upset again.

8. Hexagon

Aww, sorry :frowning2:

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try not to lie as often as I can, but when I do lie, I'm usually very good at it.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a very good liar, and tend to say what's on my mind, even if it may be harder. I tend to be a bit mouthy/sarcastic at meetings at work, and at points have probably said things that you're supposed to keep hidden, even though they're the things everyone at the meeting is thinking, but s afraid to say.

I like to call out BS, and have always been a bit of a rebel. So it's hard for me to play 'nice' all the time, if I think something is unfair, stupid or counterproductive.

11. Pain

Pain Guest

I'm good at lying about big things. I'm easy to spot when the lies are trivial.

12. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Just about the only times I lie are when I'm in trouble, and I never get caught for anything, so I guess I'm pretty good at it. I guess an example of this is the other day when I showed up to my house at like 1:30, my parents asked what I was doing. I said that I was at a church thing that was all night, and they bought it. Maybe my parents are just slow or something like that lol.

#12 vhrebels, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  13. Hexagon

lol

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a child, I liked to lie a lot but as I grew older and more aware of things...I just learnt to tell the truth. I just wish...that I told my parents that I don't know or something else then just "no" when they asked me if I was gay. I don't know why but that was the hardest sentence for me to type given I was trying to suppress that memory. Sorry about that, I just wrote whatever came to mind.

But anyhoo, yea lying was "beat" out of me when I was a kid.

15. FruitFly

I can't lie, my face blushes and I compulsively smile which gives the game away instantly. What I can do is tell a fictional story where I never actually say it's anything but a fabrication of my imagination. It's how I entertain myself when I'm bored in a public setting, especially if I've been dragged to a pub and subsequently abandoned in favour of attending a party in the pants of another(!).

16. Minx

I'm good at trivial lies. (You look good today, no you don't have wrinkles, your cheeks look fine no one will think you've been crying, no you didn't wake me up I was just resting my eyes.) It comes with the territory of being a sympathetic shoulder when friends are stressed.

Beyond that I stick with the truth. (No matter how awkward or uncomfortable it may be.) :slight_smile:

17. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes.
    I lie only when needed to help further myself.

18. ahundredpennies

I lie very little and I'm only good at those little white lies. I feel guilty if I lie about something significant.

19. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I have a pretty good sense of my surroundings in that I know when things are natural, when things are logical/make sense, and in general I know enough factual information to support my claims, or to at least enough to divert someone from realizing my claim is not true.

Because of that, I'm pretty dead on amazing at lying when I need to. But yeah, i dont just lie for fun or for any evil, nefarious reasons haha xD I can't realistically lie to people I know, but to strangers? Yeah, I can be 100% convincing, its pretty nice, lol.

On the ethics of it, eh, white lies are ok under individual, scrutinized circumstances, but I try not to, and will never do so for important-to-me sort of things.

20. Dani3l

this, absolutely.
    As for people I care about, I think I can lie reasonably well too, but I feel kinda bad.
    Sometimes I get paranoid, thinking the other person knows/suspects I'm lying. When that happens I start to overthink everything and try too hard - then the lie becomes obvious.

I guess the key is to add the right amount of (realistic) details to the story. and body language ofc.