1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you Overcome Worry and Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clarkec1, Jul 2, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I'm quite stressed and am anticipating many a result from my recently completed tests, and exams and what ever.

I had a German speaking test and writing C.A, that counted overall for about 15% of my German GCSE. I got an A/A* in the speaking, but am really worried about the results of the writing.

I did a Science test today, it didn't count towards anything, but I didn't think I did to well. I got 20 out of 28 (is that good?), and some people got more and some others got less, but I can't get lower that an A in this test, because that would make it my lowest grade in science. But I think I either go one mark off an A, or just scraped an A by 1 mark. I'll just have to wait and see, should get the results tomorrow.

I did a Maths test on Monday, and I won't deny it, I think it went surprisingly well. I have the results for that either tomorrow or Thursday, and am nervous about that.

I've got the second hour of my English C.A tomorrow, and think that is going pretty well, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up beyond restriction, but am quietly confident.

I think that's it. But my whole life seems to be changing so quickly - too quickly. With my crush, a new romantic interest, and all of this worry and being bombarded with school work is really painfully difficult. Maybe not difficult, but it seems that every time I complete one of them, another one is just around the corner.

Say I'm complaining way too much, and the worst is yet to come (believe me, I know that), but I'm new to all of this, and am not used to all of this mass work and worry.

Basically, I really need some assurance that it's "all going to be fine", and that I shouldn't worry to excess. Maybe even some techniques you guys use to help relieve all of the difficulty in your lives?

Thanks in Advance!

2. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    First of all, you're doing GCSE German exams at 13?! Say whaaaaat, that's early. :confused: on that, remember that you still have 85% more things to do. You can easily claw it back if you didn't do quite as well as expected.

As for anxiety and worrying generally...I try to just take a deep breath and face it head on and just charge. Admittedly, it's a fairly strategy...but with things like oral exams (which I take a lot of), I can't avoid them, I just need to do well in them. So I breathe, think 'fuck it' and take a run and jump. You might not feel ready for half the things you're doing and thinking...but they don't go away, and won't unless you learn to deal with them. For me...I'm just trying to let all the stress just wash over me like any other emotion, and breathe. It's still a work in progress...but I'm getting there. :slight_smile:

Viel Glück bei den Noten! :slight_smile:

3. Grrrr331

I am surprised how much tests a thirteen year-old could have. My suggestion is just try to enjoy life, like what my friend used to tell me. The future may be a heck more problematic and tiring so just try to enjoy life now and yea, be optimistic.

4. Hexagon

I either meditate or find something that really pisses me off, and focus on hating it.

5. When you feel stressed out or overwhelmed, try square-breathing. It's really easy, just inhale for four seconds (or four heartbeats, if you want), then hold for four seconds, then exhale for four seconds, and then hold again for another four seconds. Repeat for as long as needed, but be careful if it's making you feel dizzy. My mother learned this as part of her training when she was working with mentally unstable kids, and she taught it to me when I had problems with a panic disorder. It can be very effective, and it's worth a try. By the way, I used to feel the same way at the end of each school year, and I still do even in college. In any case, odds are you'll be fine. If you're this conscientious about your grades, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck!

6. Crow Crippler

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just take pills

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly, relaxation is like anything else. You have to try a bunch of stuff to find out what works best for you. And then the more you do it, the better you get at it. At age 43, I'm a friggin' expert at relaxing. :grin: Here are a few things I do.

* warm baths

* reading old books or old things I've written

* looking at pictures of random things online

* zoning out. This is a specific thing I like to do if I have the time. It's best if I do it after the aforementioned warm bath, but it doesn't have to be then. I put some quiet music on. I have three folders on my iPod that work well - classical, jazz, and easy listening. World music CAN work if I'm in the mood. Then I lay down on the couch or my bed. Then I pull together some characters I've collected over the years. Some are characters I've seen on TV shows or movies. Others are vaguely based on people I know or have known. Others are a combination, or they're people I've completely made up. I usually put myself in there, as well - either playing myself or as one of the characters. And then I build a situation, put the characters in it, and let it play out. So it could be me, the pirate captain from that movie, the strong-willed woman from that TV show, the warrior-priest-type guy from that book I read, and that funny woman I created years ago. And we might all be sitting around a dinner table arguing our favorite books. Or we're all competing in a reality show. Or we're on the same sports team. Or or or. Doesn't really matter. And I just let the story play out. Sometimes nothing really interesting happens...but it's interesting finding out that nothing interesting happens, if that makes any sense. Other times, it's really interesting, and I'll revisit that same scenario with the same players at another time. Or I'll keep it the same, and change one character. Or add one. Or subtract one. Or make it more intense. Or more laid back. Whatever I feel like.

It's actually not too different from playing with dolls or action figures. Except that it's easy to pull them out whenever I want to "play" with them, and nobody looks at me weird when I do it on a cross-country flight. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. catboy

Try to focus on something else. I pet my kitten for hours on end when I'm nervous. I also talk to him call me crazy but it helps. Sometimes I talk about the problems other times I just talk. He doesn't respond naturally but since he likes me he will purr and coo and that helps. Try it if you have a pet, it may look ridiculous but it works pretty fucking well :grin: I hope that helps!

PS You are really smart!

9. AAASAS

I don't believe schoolwork at your age is even important for your future.

I realized this early in highschool and coasted until grade 11 and 12 when my grades actually would affect my future.

Why worry about something that doesn't matter.

That is if you are confident in your intelligence and understand the work you are already doing.

10. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Thanks everybody! I agree that I'm having a lot of tests for my age. I'm doing a German and English (yes I know!) GCSE in only year 9. I can understand German, but English seems a bit too important to have so early, but I'm doing well in it, so I guess that's OK.

11. LD579

I'm pretty sure it's different in the UK. In Canada and the US, I'm sure grade 7 and 8 grades are practically moot. In the UK, I believe they're quite a lot more important.