1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever thought about this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wired106, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Wired106

Ok I was wondering if this happens to any of you ever because it seems to happen to me sometimes like really randomly. The other day I was like watching a movie in my room or something and then something reminded me of being gay and all that stuff, and then it got me wondering why is it considered bad to some people. I don't get why people don't like it and why they don't allow like gay marriage or instance. I see it as not being bad at all obviously but I don't get why other people care about it and I feel like I want to be able to tell everyone but people are stupid and immature and just don't accept some people.

In 2008 I'm pretty suprised that people still have accepted gay people in general and also gay marriage, because we've advanced in everything else like racism and other stuff like that. I can't even think of a reason why it would be bad to be gay in the first place because its not like its affecting other peoples lives except maybe with the STDs but you can take care of that and protect yourself. Do you guys ever think about that sort of stuff like why people are so damn ignorant about gay relationships? I don't know, it just sorta makes me wonder why that happens to begin with.

2. Steam Giant

Well, some people dislike the idea of homosexuality to the point that it makes them sick to be reminded of it (this distaste is typically associated with their upbringing). Some have an opinion on marriage that is so inflexible that they consider marrying a member of the same sex the same as someone wanting to marry a tree. Others still are opposed to it for political reasons, to earn favor in the eyes of those opposed to gay rights.

3. Paralyzer

I know what you mean. I think we've came a long way since the beggining and perhaps this is the last chapter in integration. Racism still exists, I understand that, but race is generally accepted all over the world. Homosexuality has the penalty of death in a lot of places.. :frowning2:

People don't like us because of small religious statements, (small because I don't think there is a holy book dedicated to the eradication of homos) ignorance for things such as all gay men want to rape all other men, and stereotypes.. which affect more than just gays.

I really don't know why it's such a big deal for gays to marry.. we aren't causing anyone any harm. All the fuss people make over us seems like they're only doing it out of boredom and their going out of there way to make a population miserable.
    To be honest, I don't know why we're hated either :frowning2: :frowning2:

Because of a recent arguement with one of my friends.. I think people are just raised to hate us by people who were raised to hate us. That's how it was with racism.. that's how it is in terrorism.. (a little different..)

4. Wired106

Ya that religous view thing is also right Paralyzer. I've seen people in San Francisco protesting gay marriage and people saying that stuff about how the bible says its bad and stuff. People can't take the bible literal. You have to analyze what god wants and I doubt hed want people going around committing hate crimes against gay people.

But another thing that is going on is, after I told my parents I've sorta changed and I'm tired of a lot of crap thats been going on (probably because its the end of the school year), like stuff with a friend of mine. I've stopped hanging out with him because he's always worried about what other people think.. Like for instance last week I was at the mall and me and him were hanging out and I told him i'd be right back I was going to get a drink and he was waiting by the bench and he was like dude no people are going to think i'm a loser or something staying here by myself, and I was like wtf? He does that all the time with almost everything. He says stuff like, if you grew your hair out like that guy I probably wouldn't hang out with you, and hes joking around but hes being serious about it. Imagine if he found out I was gay, I thought to myself. So I don't answer his calls or hang out anymore because of that stuff. lol I sort of got side tracked talking about this story lol.

5. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You're all right that being gay today is more acceptable than ever, although it's still "difficult" for lots.

It all boils down to being brought up to accept the "norm", ie heterosexual relationships etc. What is outside of the norm is feared. And so the cycle goes on. Occasionally, somebody breaks the mould and stands up for what they believe, ie being accepting of gays.

Fortunately, anti-gay feelings are encountered rarely by most gays. We just have to put up with those "unfortunates" who aren't as open-minded as most. Poor souls!! But it is getting better.

6. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I've experienced that in my own family...

It's not like they're against homosexuality because of religious or political beliefs. They are simply disgusted by the idea. They feel like throwing up when hearing about it and they're covering their eyes when seeing something even remotely gay. :rolleyes:

7. Grof142007

Yea sometimes in Class I have thought about it. Then i get mad that some people are so stupid then i dont usualy talk to anyone aftewords

8. Jim1454

I often think this... because really, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE TO THEM IF I'M GAY?!?!?!?!

I mean, you don't see me going on and on about how they are STUPID! :tantrum:

9. Trumpetplyer23

I think about this a lot. I think people are homophobic because of a few reasons. One, the entire Bible thing. In my opinion, you can't really trust the Bible, it's been rewritten so many times, how do we know that that is truly God's word, or whatever.

Two, they're afraid that they might be gay/bi, because they see it as not 'normal'. They don't want to be 'abnormal'.

Three, people believe that homosexuality or bisexuality makes you a whore in someways. That if you are gay/bi, you'll sleep with anything. To tell the truth, at school this is often thrown at me.

Four, ignorance breeds ignorance. People who are raised in a homophobic home, are most likely going to be homophobic. Simply because it's what their parents taught them and they don't want to betray their parents.

Five, MEDIA. How many times have you turned on the TV and seen a show with gay/bi people in it? I'm talking like basic cable, not digital, where there's a buttload of channels. Rarely ever, and when you do see a show with a gay/bi person in it, their sexuality usually is brought up or displayed in these ways 1. they were killed (like on CSI or Law and Order) 2. They are the horribly flamboyant gay guy 3. The show needs a bit of 'spice'. 4. The show needs an interesting reason for why the female or male character broke up with their spouse.Hardly ever is there a show on basic cable in which a character is gay from the beginning, is happy, and not the stereotypical gay/bi. If you see it on TV, you'll believe it.

Six, it's kept (forgive the pun) in the closet. Homosexuality/bisexuality isn't something that most families bring up at the dinner table. Kids often find out about homosexuality and bisexuality at school! It kind of follows the philosophy of 'if I act like it's not there, then it doesn't exist.

10. Wired106

EXACTLY! It makes NO DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIFE AT ALL.
    That's why it makes me mad now. It never used to make me mad I don't know why but now it suddenly does. I sure don't go into other people's lives and tell them how to live it. I don't know why they should. :dry:

11. RENThead

i was actually thinking about that today. (my brain went from when did i realise i was gay, and what gay means, to peoples views on it - how different people would react to me telling them)

i think the general public would be more accepting of us, if the government was.
    im not sure about everywhere else, but gay marriage isnt legal here, but if it was, i think more people would be accepting...

12. Peridot

This makes me pissed off now.
    I wish some people were not so narrow minded.
    Everything in the world is just so ridiculous.
    Why can't everyone just get along?