1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a victory but not total (Australian Gay Rights)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hoping, Apr 29, 2008.

1. hoping

The Australian government has today announced that it is going to ammend 100 laws that are anti gay but they have ruled out legaliseing gay marriage and the opppistion has said that it will push to ban gay marriage and gay adoption. What are your thoughts?

2. sdc91

Re: a victory but not total

Any step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. It'll be that much harder to reverse laws, especially when people see that would be wrong.

Don't expect everything all at once unless it's via a court decision (like Massachusetts, and soon to be California-- hopefully-- in 20 days).

3. Micah

Do you have a link to the news story by any chance? Didn't buy the paper today / cant find it online.

4. Micah

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

It's definately a welcome step in the right direrection! (I would have presumed that some of the things they're legislating about would already be rights protected in law - just goes to show how little I know! But all the better)

Although it's a shame about the continued opposition to gay marriage and gay adoption - but one step at a time!

6. Bevo

Bevo Guest

Here's another version (Sydney Morning Herald): http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/matching-rights-for-gay-couples/2008/04/29/1209234862823.html

Suprisingly this is just the beginning..Victoria will join Tasmania in recognizing same-sex unions formally in 2008, and the ACT is expected to follow. Northern Territory, New South Wales and South Australia are expected to hand down findings reports by May 2008 to consider legalising adoption for same-sex couples, joining Western Australia, ACT and Tasmania.

7. Brandford

I suppose thats good but it still pisses me of they wont legalize gay marrage or adoption

8. RENThead

its a step in the right direction, though i dont see why they need to ban addoption.

if single parents can adopt, they why shoudlnt gay parents be able to...

quick story - kinda related
    about a month ago, i was at my dads wedding. and i caught the bouquet, and dad (and my bro) said something like 'any guy who tried to marry you' and i didnt say it, but i thought, you dont have to worry about a guy, and u dont have to worry about marriage, its not legal...

9. Fiorino

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: Yay!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap (*hug*) It's a step in the right direction
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: