1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a religious person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anshel, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Anshel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I noticed that many people in EC mention their churches, religion etc. So I decided to ask: are you a religious person? If so what is your belief? How important your religion is to you?

I’m an atheist and I don’t believe in God, don’t go to church and have been there only twice. My parents are not religious at all; when my grandmother tried to take my little sister to the church we had a huge fight because we think that religion is a choice. I believe that once she’s adult she’ll make her own choice if she wants to believe in something or not. So religion is not important to me at all.

2. Hexagon

3. Oxelotl

hahahaahahahahah......no no no. Atheist all the way. Not that I have any problems with religious people (minus WBC), I know many people who I respect who are also religious, the concepts of God and stuff is just something that doesn't make sense to me.

4. Grrrr331

My family is mostly Christian and my parents forced us to go to church occasionally. I hated it, quite frankly. I don't believe in god and living a good life. I think it's too hard, for me, so I just gave up on religion there. I've broken most of the major things in Christian teachings already T-T why bother?

5. Hexagon

Are being an atheist and living a good life mutually exclusive?

6. EyesNeverLie

I'm not religious at all. My parents aren't either. I don't know what to believe about the whole God and Jesus thing. My mom is a Christian and my dad was a Muslim. Two very different views on God. So as a child I was confused. I guess I'm more of a agnostic. I believe there is higher power out there but not sure if it's this so called "God." I've only been to a church once. My dad never wanted to me to go to a church or read a bible. He wanted me to follow the Muslim beliefs but I did not want to. My mom on the other hand, let me make my own decisions about religion.

7. Crow Crippler

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely not. *shudder* I've had a terrible experience with religious people and it's hard to... yeah.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a religious person, I was born and raised Catholic. My religion is sort of important to me. That being said, I'm not one of those people that go around preaching the word of God every single chance I get. I go to church, am a good person, listen to the gospel readings and take the bible with a grain of salt. I don't let it affect my views whatsoever. Sure, it may be a foundation for a view but I don't treat it as the total reason for a selected issue. However, one of the things I do not like about most, if not all, followers is the fact that they take the bible and pick and choose particular verses to use for a particular issue. For example, infamous Leviticus 18:22 says something like laying with a man as a man and a women does is detestable but later or earlier in that same says something like those who eat shellfish shall be condemned or something like that. That example alone is why I don't like extremists who take the bible and treat it as a book to follow religiously instead of a guide.

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised Catholic, and my dad is quite serious about it. My mom not so much.

Me, I believe, but I wouldn't call myself religious. Still, I usually go to church on Sunday. I love churches.. they make me feel so calm and relaxed.

10. Dani3l

Atheist. Plain and simple.

11. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :eek: Well um... My family is mostly catholic. I consider myself more spiritual than religious. I do believe in God or a higher power, whichever way you like to say it. It's not as important to me the religious structure of "churches" Then again I usually take what I like and leave the rest.

Religions we're first constructed at an age where norms and thoughts are vastly different to the ones of our era. Many of what's written on the bible is rather too outdated to be applied to society right now. Plus there are people who interpret it's context for their own benefit.

Each day I think religion is becoming more like a buSINess. They will do anything or say anything in order to keep most of their followers. In the end churches are powerless without people to attend them. (Note, that I've talked more about religious institutes, than: God, Allah, Shiva or Buddah, etc...)

12. srslywtf

I am not religious, however I do subscribe to certain buddhist teachings/philosophies. But then the pure (non crazy) forms of buddhism are more like psychology/mental training than religion.

13. Munyal

I am semi-religious. I do believe in a higher power, whether or not its name is God is up for debate, but my church is filled with nice people, so I go with it.

14. Amerigo

how do i know if i'm religious?

15. hkboy93

With the discrimination and uneducated views from a large number of religious groups and bigoted comments made by my Christian mum, I am staying far away from religion.

16. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am not a religious person, but I do believe in God.

I feel like a lot of mainstream Christian churches are messing up too much. The homophobia and the idea that they need to go around telling people how to live so they can be saved from burning in hell really ticks me off.

I consider myself a student of the Bible. I believe in God and I pray and stuff, but I also know there is a lot that I don't understand. I don't think homosexuality is a sin and I believe there is more than 1 way to get to heaven. My faith in God has greatly benefited from reading about Buddhism and meditation.

17. CheesyGoose

I'm not religious, neither are my parents, neither is my sister or anyone else of my family for that matter, except my brother and his family. I honestly haven't heard much of that stuff from them anymore. A few years back they were more active with that thing I believe, but it's kinda cooled down.

I'm not an atheist. However, I can't be certain that any higher power exists, until we have proof that they do. I'm a believer of science, but at the same time, I believe in something more. It is very possible that godly beings exist. I would say that they would be in the form of aliens, however, or interdimensional beings. I watch Ancient Aliens and such shows sometimes on History and other channels, and to be honest, they make some valid points, which makes you wonder. At the same time, they sometimes say something so ridiculous, that I'm banging my head against the table. But I'll just say that I can't fully believe in anything until I've seen it with my own eyes, or I've seen footage, a picture that says it's 100% extraterrestrial or interdimensional.

And as a side-note, I'm a much bigger fan of multiple gods (Greek, Scandinavian, Egyptian) rather than a single one. It kinda leaves the impression that he would and could be a cold-blooded tyrant. I believe in like... a collective group ruling something, if you catch my meaning.

18. Pain

Pain Guest

I am not religious. I am spiritual to my own beliefs.

19. ILuvMusic90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more spiritual than religious.

20. biggayguy

I try to follow Christ's teachings. He never said anything about homosexuality. I was raised Pentecostal. After coming out to myself became Catholic. Lately I've been going to Anglican Mass.