1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender People in Acting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adrian Piper, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Adrian Piper

Hey, guys! So, I'm transgender and I really want to be an actor! In films and television shows, hopefully. The thing is, there aren't very many popular transgender actors/actresses out there, and I was just wondering if it was just because there aren't a large amount of transgender people who want to go into acting, or if the whole transgender thing would get in the way of me being a successful actor.
    I do community musical theater now, and I haven't technically come out to anyone in my show yet, although I do dress as a guy to the rehearsals. I really want to tell the cast, but there are younger kids in the show (the youngest being 8), and my mum told me that for now, I should just tell them that I'm planning on changing my name and tell them my new name because the parents of the kids probably wouldn't like it if I explained to them what transgender was.
    Would something like that happen if I audition for film or television roles in the future? Any thoughts on this?

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I say go for it! It's true there aren't many mainstream/big name trans actors out there cuz of Hollywood catering to ridiculous American comfort levels. One I can think of would be Candis Cayne she's beauutiful. Can't think of any mainstream transMALE actors...

But honestly I say go for it and be a pioneer! Also if at all possible you may consider just keeping your trans status private, but that is up to you.