Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 12:17 PM   #1

Orientation: Pansexual

Transgender People in Acting?

Hey, guys! So, I'm transgender and I really want to be an actor! In films and television shows, hopefully. The thing is, there aren't very many popular transgender actors/actresses out there, and I was just wondering if it was just because there aren't a large amount of transgender people who want to go into acting, or if the whole transgender thing would get in the way of me being a successful actor.
I do community musical theater now, and I haven't technically come out to anyone in my show yet, although I do dress as a guy to the rehearsals. I really want to tell the cast, but there are younger kids in the show (the youngest being 8), and my mum told me that for now, I should just tell them that I'm planning on changing my name and tell them my new name because the parents of the kids probably wouldn't like it if I explained to them what transgender was.
Would something like that happen if I audition for film or television roles in the future? Any thoughts on this?
Adrian Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 12:21 PM   #2
StefaniW

Tournaments Won: 75

Re: Transgender People in Acting?

I say go for it! It's true there aren't many mainstream/big name trans actors out there cuz of Hollywood catering to ridiculous American comfort levels. One I can think of would be Candis Cayne she's beauutiful. Can't think of any mainstream transMALE actors...

But honestly I say go for it and be a pioneer! Also if at all possible you may consider just keeping your trans status private, but that is up to you.