1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Typed it all

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm sitting here in the dentists just doing nothing so I just pulled out my notes app on my phone and typed out my Facebook status for coming out. What do y'all think of how I worded it:

2. LinkLarkin

I like it in general! (Especially the ending :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Only criticisms are that it comes across a bit aggressive - maybe tone the seriousness down a bit? - and that it's a tiny bit long, if you're wanting the majority of people on your friends list to read it. Length may not be a bad thing though if you want to make sure people don't think somebody else is posting it as a joke! Best of luck and let us know how it turns out. :slight_smile:

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you like it.

Can you cite some examples of how it sounds agressive, I typed it on a whim and really just was typing whatever came to mind?

I was going for length but maybe I need to cut to the chase faster.

4. Dani3l

I'll be blunt. It seems a bit agressive. I don't know if that is intentional, but for these kinds of things I follow this rule: let a day or so go by, let your mind get distracted and, after that, re-read it; most of the times I feel embarassed and usually edit a lot of what I wrote :lol:
    I say this because you are the best critic for this, and only you know what you really want to say and how you wanna say it.
    The key is to be cold-minded when re-reading it, and not filled with emotions... specially when posting something so important on facebook, to the entire world. It cannot be taken back.

Good luck! (*hug*)

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get what you mean. I'm already reading dumb and unecessary information. Oh well, I'll edit it further after my cavity fillings.

6. Hudson

If I saw that on my Facebook Newsfeed, I'd like it! A bit aggressive like the others noted, but it's not overly-so. :slight_smile:

7. BudderMC

I dunno. This is personal opinion obviously, but here's my two cents:

1) It's rather lengthy. I always felt that a FB status coming-out should be a pretty straightforward, matter-of-fact, no-big-deal (to you) thing. For me at least, all the important people (ex. the people worth explaining to) I made a point of telling individually (or in pairs). If I'm telling my hundreds of "friends" on Facebook, they don't really need to hear all that gibberish, unless they ask. And at least with my friends, I'm sure most people won't care that much anyways.

2) You say "y'all" a lot, but maybe that's just a Texan thing. :lol:

8. Harve

To elaborate on what I think the others are getting at with 'aggressiveness': you seem to be taking a victim position and assuming that a majority of people aren't going to be comfortable with it? I don't see why you need the 'well fuck you all!' attitude when I expect most acquaintances won't give a shit either way, and friends, being friends, are most likely to support you. Or at least one would hope so.

And if you're coming out as gay, I expect you'll agree with me when I say that you're hardly hiding the 'real you' as it's only a minor or even completely inconsequential aspect of your personality.

9. BudderMC

^ to elaborate on that, for people who don't have a passionate stance on LGBT topics already (ex. extremely in support/extremely against), they're going to take this news how you present it. If you treat it aggressively with a "I don't really care what you think anyways" attitude, they're more inclined to be aggressive back. If you treat it with a "this is really no-big-deal and a minor facet of my personality" attitude, most people won't make a big deal out of it either.

10. AlamoCity

I like it. It might be too long for some people with short attention spans, but I feel it's appropriate. Maybe you should put "I HAVE A BIG SECRET TO TELL Y'ALL" so all will read it. But I do suggest, as others have said, to tell in person, or privately, the people you value the most. But that's just my opinion.

It sure is :slight_smile:.

11. biggayguy

I could be wrong but this sounded like a dare to me. Like "Go ahead, I dare you to unfriend me!" That's how it seemed to me.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :grin:

I'll revise it to be way shorter. Also I'll take out the de-friend section, now that I re-read it, that section in particular does sound a bit aggressive.

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't know the half of it, you can beat the Texan out of Texas but you can't beat the Texas out of the Texan.

------------------------------
    I rewrote it: Made it less long. Took out the section about unfriending cause it sounded to aggressive when I went back and read it. Like Biguy50 said, it also sounded like a dare with the section in it also and so not me.

I think this version is a whole lot better and less aggressive but the problem with this version is I began it with "I'm about to share...", is there any other phrase I can use to make the beginning sound less tacky?

#13 Randy, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simple is always best, start with: "There's a part of me...

15. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like it. And I'd be proud to be your friend. I hope it goes very well!