1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some male LGBT members call each other "girlfriend?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 3, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

At school there's what some would call the "stereotypical" gay guy and he goes around calling everyone, male or female, "girl" or "girlfriend." I know that even in the media, extremely effeminate men use those terms as a form of endearment. Do you think it's appropriate for males, even if LGBT, to be called as such? Why is it done? I have yet to see "masculine" males use those terms on other males.

And if you use these terms as such, I'd like to be enlightened in the subject matter. Thanks.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know people did that honestly. He's my boyfriend, because he's a boy.

3. Amerigo

it doesn't bother me

4. Hefiel

I hear "bitch" more often, but I've heard "girl" as well. I'm not sure of the origin of those words amongst (feminine) gay guys.

5. AlamoCity

I forgot about "bitch," but yeah, that's another word that I hear.

6. Amerigo

i think it's a way for them to channel their inner drama queens

7. BudderMC

Are you sure you don't mean "guuuurrrrrrrlll"?

8. AlamoCity

Yes! That too.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]h6dP04vCNU[/YOUTUBE]

10. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never do that at school, because that would pretty much out me right then and there, but sometimes when I'm alone in the car I call other drivers that. And I would call people that if it didn't offend them.
    I really think it's just how my brain's wired. You've heard heterosexual woman use similar phrases and intonation, I'm sure. I think it's just that my brain doesn't totally match up with my chromosomes.
    In other words: 'cause I was born that way, gurrrllll!

11. DeanIsHome

I do that "guuurrrrrllll" thing with my friends that I'm out to just for fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. King

King Guest

I use it online in mocking ways though the thought behind it is because it's fun.

I sometimes use qorl in real life but as you can tell by the spelling it's pronounced weird, and I use it as a term of endearment but also sort of to make fun of the whole idea. I'm fine with gay guys referring to other people as girl/girlfriend though.

Though, I couldn't for the life of me refer to anyone as girl seriously in real life. I'd get weird looks.

13. Hefiel

That is exactly what I meant, but the thought of writing it that way just sent shivers down my spine. It really irks me when I hear people talk this way. Straight or Gay, Male or Female, doesn't matter, I hate it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never heard guys, gay or straight, talk like that with other guys. I wasn't even aware that this was a "stereotypical gay guy" thing.

So, needless to say, I don't go around referring to other guys (or anyone, for that matter) as "girl." And "bitch?" Well, I use the word interchangeably with the words "dick," "bastard," and other obscenities that I won't get into right now in reference to people or things (like when my phone or computer isn't working right) that piss me off. And sometimes I'll say things like "it hurt like a bitch" if something, well, hurt me, usually physically. But I never use the word "bitch" in reference to other gay guys, and even if I did, it wouldn't be because they were gay, it would probably be because they were pissing me off.

And why do I talk this way? I don't know. I'm a very vulgar, foul-mouthed person in general and whenever I'm annoyed, frustrated, stressed, etc. I'll use those words to vent, so I guess it stems from there.

15. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah me too is not a fan of that "guurrrll" thingy. It is indeed iritating for me. But hey! Respect! Were all different :slight_smile:

16. biggayguy

The guurrrll thing is just for fun; especially if someone is acting very effeminate. That's how I always took it anyway. We would sing at the club with Shania Twain's song "Man, I Feel Like a Woman".

17. AlamoCity

I understand. I don't think less of anyone who says "guurl," but I do find it funny. The "stereotypical gay guy" (stereotypical, as in, that's how the media historically portrayed as gays) would always wear designer sunglasses (in the bug-eye style, that always bothers me for men), he would always carry a HUGE Louis Vuitton tote bag and carry it like a purse, and use "guuurl" and "girlfriend" a lot. That's why he's so memorable to me and always left an impression on me. That said, I respected him for acting how he felt and being who he was.

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my good friends and I use bitch or slut :slight_smile: we tend to use both equally.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I've never done this, or seen any appeal in it. Nothing against girls, but by boyfriend is male, with a big beard, so it would just seem silly.

20. DeanIsHome

I don't use bitch but i do say slut and my gay friends all use it as well but as a term of affection.