1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you had any gay teachers, especially ones that were/are open about it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 3, 2013.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has anyone here ever had any openly gay teachers in school? And if so what was it like, both for them, and in general? I had teachers I suspected were gay, but none that were really out about it, though a lot has changed since I graduated.

The reason I ask is that I’m looking at getting a masters in education, and teaching high-school English/Writing…hopefully at a magnet school for the arts, or a relatively liberal public school, or even a liberal private, Quaker or reformed Jewish school. I don’t plan to parade my sexual preference about, but at the same time, I’ve been out for years, and don’t want to keep it hidden. I wonder what difficulties and challenges it might bring. I’m certainly not the typical gay male, but I’m very eccentric, to say the least. So I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on the matter.

I also have the feeling that it would be very hard to hide. Some students are just going to be able to tell though whatever subtle means, and teachers are very gossipy. I plan to marry my partner by next spring, so this would be hard to hide, with him being male.

And having been out of the closet, I don’t wanna have to crawl back in for huge periods of each day, though I'm tired of my job in a library, and want something with more interaction, and creative input involved. (I tend to be pretty extroverted.)

2. BornInTexas

Surprisingly, even though I live in a small town, I did have one gay teacher. However, he was a substitute teacher who would come in if a teacher was sick or had to take the rest of the day off for an appointment somewhere. He was openly gay, but he never really talked about it to us. Everyone just knew.

Want to know the creepy/cool part? His younger brother, who I still see sometimes because he lives down the street, was my crush for 4 years. I never developed a crush on the teacher, though. Just his brother. His brother was a hunk... :slight_smile:

He played on the football team. His sense of humor was identical to mine. He was very outspoken and confident in everything he did. His broad shoulders looked like they could wrap me up in a bear hug and never let go... I'll stop there. :icon_redf

#2 BornInTexas, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. DeanIsHome

My math teacher is openly lesbian and she watches over the schools gay-straight alliance and everyone loves her cause she's young and super cool, plus our medical science teacher is openly gay and sometimes he refers to that when he's telling stories and most students love him and hang out in his class during lunch and these are all highschool students.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    we have a gay theater teacher. I don't take him though.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had some teachers in high school and middle school that were open to me about being gay (and one principal). They were not open to the rest of the school about it though. My hometown (at the time) was a pretty conservative place. So, it was not a good idea for them to be to open about it. My hometown has become a lot more accepting place though.

6. There's a Spanish teacher at my school that is gay. He's very out. So out that it doesn't know what his closet looks like. He's very flamboyant, has pretty good taste in fashion, and uses Madonna in his examples LOL I don't have him, I have Mandarin class but he subbed for my mandarin class about twice. He knows some mandarin and used Madonna in the sentence, "I am Madonna" and "Madonna is pretty." ROFL! He's pretty good looking and defies age. The reason is that he's 50 years old and he looks 30 ish :confused:

There's a lesbian teacher and she teaches AP literature. She's the GSA advisor at my school and she has an extensive knowledge of LGBT rights and history.

My school counselor (organized by student alphabet) is bisexual and she has a girlfriend :grin: She's the co-advisor of GSA and she was an alumnus of my school.

All three of them are very open of their sexuality and comes out to their students on National Coming Out Day.

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a gay teacher in my senior year of high school. He didn't parade his sexuality around, but he didn't hide it and everyone knew he was gay, no one cared. In fact, everyone liked him and thought he was awesome, not because he was gay, but because he was a good teacher and he made his classes fun and entertaining.

And just this last semester, two of my teachers were gay. One of them was my history teacher, and again, she didn't parade it around. She did talk about all the gay marriage stuff going down and how it affected her, but that was because it was relevant to what we were learning and she was using examples from her life to help us understand what exactly was going on. Again, no one cared that she was gay.

The other one was my psychology teacher. For the most part he didn't say anything about his sexuality, but we had a unit on sexual orientation and during that unit he mentioned that he was gay. Once again, no one cared that he was gay.

8. Hiems

Yes, I had a sociology professor who casually came out to the whole class. We were discussing some topic during lecture, and at some point he said, "I haven't dated guys like that." Then at the end of the semester, he showed us his Facebook page. He really had no qualms about being gay. He was pretty brave to do all of that.

And I'm happy to say that no one in my class openly gave negative reactions towards him. Obviously the students didn't want to jeopardize their grades, but I still thought it was somewhat noteworthy b/c in a poll of 60 students, only 10% (including myself) said that they attended a high school in which diversity was prominent (includes race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.)

That is not to say that students who didn't attend diverse schools are not always accepting. Rather, because they are less exposed to the LGBT community in high school, they are less likely to be accepting. And depending on other factors, e.g. religious upbringing, they may even vocalize their animus. But then again, millennials tend to be more accepting of people, so I'm just rambling along really...

9. I went to a small Catholic high school, and we actually had 3 openly gay teachers, all female (most of the teachers were female because it was an all girls school). I didn't really know 2 of them (they were a couple and they were later fired because one was having an affair with a student and the other knew, but didn't report it), but the other one was really cool. Everyone liked her, and she even kissed her wife in front an entire football stadium full of people - at a Catholic school.

10. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never had any gay teachers, well there was one that I was suspicious of...well everyone was. But we really didn't care about it, he was really cool and everyone adored him so we put our suspicion behind us. There was another...I didn't have him but a lot of my friends had him for Drama. He was very obvious about it but they did not care. If I heard through the grapevine correctly, his boyfriend came into his class while teaching one day.

That's about it, I had no openly gay teachers. But if I did, I would put it behind me and still respect the teacher regardless of orientation.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No openly gay teachers when I was in school. Of course, that was more than 20 years ago.

I was told a year or so after I graduated that there was a lesbian PE teacher at the other high school in my district. Not sure how open she was about it, but she was open enough that it was a known fact among the faculty/administration. There was no issue about it, or so I was told, except it had been decreed that she'd stay out of the girls' locker room.

At college level, there was one professor whom I never had who was reported to be gay. It was not, apparently, a very close secret. A professor I did have, who was gay, never discussed the fact openly that I know of. Although years later, he did help start a GSA, I believe.

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2013 at 11:34 PM ----------

If I recall right, Brent Hartinger (gay YA novelist) taught at a Tacoma, WA school that had an arts focus. I doubt he was willing to be closeted, even if it were possible. (By the time he was teaching, he was locally known writer of Geography Club.)

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

My French teacher in the first 2 years of highschool was openly lesbian.
    She was very self confident so no-one messed with her anyway.
    Other than that I personally had no gay teacher (that I was aware of), but I'd heard tell that one biology and history teacher were openly gay. (Both males).
    'Twas a bit paradoxical in highschool. No-one bothered teachers, heck no-one really discussed the sexuality of teachers.
    But at the same time, gay students were bullied by certain groups and gay slurs were used as staple words to win an argument.
    Whenever possible gay bashers were dealt with, but most of the time it happened unnoticed by teachers, unfortunately.
    I had a rought time of it myself in the first year due to a group of 3 guys in my class. Though they were bullying me for being a nerd, not my sexuality. (I hadn't come out yet and no-one had a clue either.)

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The head of my humanities department is a gay man.

14. timo

The French teacher I had in the first two years in high school was gay and open about it. Jokes were made but no one really cared. Apart from him I don't remember any of my teachers being gay or lesbian.

15. agonizingnose

My English teacher Mr Norman seems to be. He'd refer to his "Partner" and would use non gender specific pronouns, perhaps his partner is trans or agender? Oh well who knows. what I do know is he is the single best teacher I have ever had.

16. VelvetEYES

I had one but I wouldn't say she was out. She only told me after I told her I was in an after class discussion we were having.

17. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Well, I personally didn't have him, but the High School Girls' Tennis coach and elementary school music teacher is gay. Im not sure how open, since tons of friends only suspect. I mean, ive seen him with his partner (they are adorable together :3) in places like Walmart. They hold hands and im super jelly! My friends at school are blind.
    I don't think anyone knows, but maybe his close teacher friends. Like hes that kind of hot where girls dont want to admit that he's gay, but its fairly obvious and hes not necessarily hiding it.

In Elementary school, my Civics teacher was a lesbian i believe. There were always rumors, how she never settled down, but the female girls basketball coach was also a lesbian. All the girls loved her and only a few were uncomfortable. I believe she was fired for making out with said civics teacher in the girls locker room or something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Civics teacher didn't get the boot or anything. She actually lives kinda by me, i hated her class in school, but shes a nice, liberal person with a good personality.

When I become a music teacher, I intend on being out. I can only assume it will be more accepted in then (in like 6+ years from now) and marriage will be legal in possibly a few more states. I'm not sure how out, but ill make sure that my employer knows, and my fellow teachers. Students? I'll probably let them just assume :3 or discreetly bring it up if its ever questioned.

I know im a glutton for ridicule, but i would just love it if my students were to try to "bully me" because I would have control over them in a way :3 I could literally laugh it off, or simply disregard it, and just stop it in its track and that would feel super empowering hahaha!

#17 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  18. Hexagon

Not that I know of.

19. RebelD

Only had the one music teacher in high school that came out with a bang when she left her husband, the school and then the town haha. In university I know of at least 3.

20. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a gay teacher in Year 4 (ages 8-9 years old) at school. We had no idea he was gay at the time, to be honest, at that age, I doubt anyone even considered it.
    It seems obvious now though.