1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astronomers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jul 4, 2013.

?

Are you an astronomer?

1. No, I do not ever look at the stars.

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I know a few constellations but I just look occasionally.

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. I have a telescope that I use infrequently.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I have a telescope that I use frequently.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. I have a high-end telescope.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Astronomy is my job/something similar.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just wanted to see if there are any fellow stargazers on this forum. And if so, what telescope do you have?
    I have an ancient 1 inch refractor--basically the exact same telescope Galileo used, except suckier.
    But I'm saving up for a 3.5-inch GOTO Meade.

2. LinkLarkin

Absolutely! I'm studying astrophysics at university, don't often get a chance for good old fashioned stargazing but I like to think that will change in the future. I own a 76mm Sky Watcher but I'm still trying to get used to it, I'm better at remembering stars and constellations than doing anything practical. I'm currently in Spain as part of my course helping to take some observations with a professional telescope though, pretty exciting! :slight_smile:

3. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I am an amateur (seeing as I'm 16) but want to major in astrophysics in college. I have always loved astronomy, and I really want to learn more about it :slight_smile:

4. The username

If I wanted to be a researcher, which I was considering at one point (now that I am nearly done with university, I can confirm I do not), I definitely would have liked to go down the astronomy route. Specifically, I think planetary sciences would have been very interesting.

I do like to stargaze on nights that it is clear. It's a nice time to think. My university has an observatory that is open to students some nights. I still have yet to go! Going to make sure I do that during the upcoming school year.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm mildly interested in astronomy, but it's too much like connect the dots XD. The real wonder for me is deep space and other questions better covered by cosmology. The math is entirely over my head, but overall, I could eagerly say that space is one of my most enduring passions.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a time when I seriously looked into making my own mirror for a reflector telescope (a good 8 inch would have been great!) but I would need a workshop and I am not thusly equipped...one day: I really want to get a look at the giant gas clouds under Orion's belt!

7. biggayguy

Actually, I have a good pair of binoculars. I've loved astronomy since taking a high school course in it. The possibilities out there are amazing. Most of the quality images are available through NASA and some university sites. My binoculars are roughly equivalent to a small telescope...good for looking at Venus, the Moon and constellations. I do wish I could do long exposure photographs. I would have loved astrophysics but the math was beyond me.

#7 biggayguy, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  8. SlickyPants

I currently have a cheapy 4.5" reflector and an EQ mount and I don't use it that often. I've been saving up for a 14" in dobsonian reflector that I've been eyeballing for a few years now. Something more important always seems to come up though. One of these days I'll get something better. On the plus side, the 4.5" is small and easy enough to transport without a car. :thumbsup:

9. 303pilot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love astronomy. When I was 15 I got myself an 8" Dobsonian reflector. Loved it but eventually I stopped using it. Initially I was expecting to see much more out of it. The Andromeda Galaxy looked like a tiny fuzzy patch. :slight_smile:

10. vrrml

i don't get that much opportunity for actual stargazing, but i did a gcse in it in year 9, and am also considering maybe astrophysics at university.