1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rainbowships, Jul 4, 2013.

1. rainbowships

rainbowships Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My older brother and I were never very close when we were younger. However, since I started high school, we've become considerably closer. He is the only person in my family I feel I can go to with anything that is going on in my life.
    My bro graduated from high school this year and is leaving for Navy boot camp in a week. The only contact with him that I'll have will be letters and very few phone calls (until he completes boot camp, A school, and C school, which will be in August of next year). I want to come out to him as trans because I feel like I need his support and I want to be honest with him. But I don't really know how to go about doing it. Should I gather my courage and tell him before he leaves? Or write him while he's in training? I just don't know how to do this gracefully.
    He's the most important person in the world to me, and I need him to know. I just don't know how to tell him.

2. charmander

First of all try to get his opinion on You're sexual orientation without him suspecting you.
    Has it been mentioned in the news etc? You could bring it up then...
    If you find he approves of it you may or may not want to tell him there but don't feel pressured into it. Just remember take things slowly...

Hope I Helped
    - Good Luck

3. katjs

Listen if you really feel like you need to tell him then that's a good thing. He probably will respective you and accept you. I think that it's sweet that your so close. You should try and tell him before he leaves. Sit down and chat with him. He's your brother and your friend. He already loves you, accepts you and cares about you. Just sit him down and tell him. Talk about it. I'm sure everything will be fine. Best of luck.