1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comin out to my closest friends help!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zpheonix8, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Zpheonix8

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I have been in the closet for awhile and i really want to tell someone im bi. I have two of my closest and most trusted friends picked out, Breanna and Caden, but im not sure how to comeout to them. Over text, phone, in person? And then how should i tell them, just say it or work up to it? I really feel i need to tell someone so please help. Thx :slight_smile:

2. Emberblaze

Most people will say that a text isn't a good idea, and I'd have to agree. I came out to one of my friends via text, and she kept saying "you're joking right?" so at first, I thought it was an innocent lil thing... yeah, after awhile I sensed a little bit of hostility from it. So, I called her. Turned out, she wasn't too happy about it... We talked for a bit, and well, even still, I wouldn't recommend over the phone either because she just couldn't see how much she was hurting me.

Now, be that as it may, about a year later now and she's much more accepting about it (at least as far as I know) so it didn't end horribly.

I know it's REALLY unnerving to come out in person, but I think it's probably the best way. If not that, video chat, if not that then phone, then text, then social media. But when you're not face to face with them, you just can't be sure how the other person is feeling.

Now, the thing about a text is you can plan what you want to say and all that jazz, and if you're worried about that, then you can always write a script or something and just read that or let your friends read it ya know.

That help you out any?

3. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to my closet friends just in casual conversation, in person. Are you involved in anything LGBTQ? If so bring it up in conversation and then say something like, "and by the way, I'm bi, just wanted to let you know." If you are not involved in LGBTQ stuff then I would see if they want to get lunch sometime and just say, "so I have been wanting to tell you that I am bi." Or something along those lines. I think for friends, usually have a sense about these things, and just don't make it a HUGE deal. If you are calm and don't make it seem like a big deal, chances are they won't either.

Good luck! I'm sure it will go fine!

4. munchkin97

Out Status:
    All but family
    Whats the best way to come out to your best friends and family ?

5. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I told my sister, I just said, "I am a lesbian" and waited for the shock to wear off.

Face to face is scary, but your friends will appreciate it. Do you know their stance on LGBT issues?

6. Grrrr331

I would think in person because this is an important matter and over phone or text might make people thought that you're joking or something. Somehow face to face is more serious and better.

7. ghost_in_the_sewer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told some of my closet friends too. But i did it over Facebook. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At first I just joke around telling the that i had a deep secret. after later when they were getting used to the joke. I just tell them that I'm going to be serious, then i told them after minutes of "....." or "um....." I finally said screw it and told them. I don't know if you should do what i did but they took it very well. Even when i got back to school, they still hung around me like it was normal.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In person. I'd begin with "This is a serious issue and I'd like y'all to keep an open mind...and I've selected y'all to talk to because..."

You don't have to say y'all, substitute it with another word (unless you're from Texas then use y'all)