1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents are supportive but i just don't know how or when!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whatismyname, Jul 4, 2013.

1. whatismyname

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi i am Michael and i am really feeling weird about it :confused: but i just i dont know how to come out and say it (i am 13 by the way) do you think i should wait till i am older? I know my parents are really supportive, (*hug*) but i just am scared about making my closet empty!! :lol: Can i get some advice and/or answers to my questions Please!

2. Gen

Gen

Well, just because you have supporting parents doesn't mean you have to sprint out of the closet. You are still fairly young and should just come out when you will feel the most comfortable.

Though its important to remember that, although everyone seems to have a desire to wait for the perfect time, the day will likely never come. There is never going to be a day where light will shine down from the heavens and doves will fly, pleading with you to come out of the closet. There will just have to come a time that you will just tire of dodging the bullet anymore.

But good luck when that time comes. ^_^

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Don't feel pressured into coming out. Take it at your own pace. It should be your choice.

4. whatismyname

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys but when I do come out do you have any advice?

5. Gen

Gen

Since they are supportive, I would just come right out and say it. Planning other things to say other than "I'm Gay" often isn't very useful, because when the situation actually arises you'll forget what you were going to say more often than not. Lol

6. whatismyname

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks again good advice

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt (and still feel) pretty much the same way. My family's supportive and no one has any issues, whatsoever, with being gay but the act of telling them I'm gay seems so awkward and uncomfortable that I don't want to do it.

I decided a while back that when I do come out I won't do it in person, I'll send my family an email when I'm living on my own, away from them. Even though that's not necessary, it'll make the situation a lot more comfortable for me. But since you're only 13 that's a pretty long time to wait, so if you're comfortable enough, you could leave your parents a note or send them a text when you leave for school or go out to see a friend.

I don't know if that helps, but you should do whatever makes you the most comfortable. And if you're not sure what that is, there's no need to rush, you can take your time to figure out what works best for you.

8. whatismyname

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks that helps heaps great advice again thanks!

9. gavguy

gavguy Guest

As some people would say at 13 you are still exploring your sexuality, deep within you will know when the time is right to tell them.
    There is no rush, enjoy exploring and don't keep things inside.
    Talk about your feelings and problems we are all here to help one another, don't feel shy or embarrassed to ask questions.
    I hope you will find the EC forum a happy place to be.