1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to may dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rjrh20, Jul 6, 2013.

1. rjrh20

The other day, my brother and I got home from the pool. When I walked inside my dad asked if he could talk to me and I said sure. He started talking about like school and my moms dog and stuff and then he was like have you been avoiding me because you are scared you might be gay. I said ummmmm...no? and said so you like guys? and I said ummmmmm...no? and he said your only 13 and your probably confused. I doubt that your gay. by then I just walked away frustrated and a little angry, I don't really know why. I don't want him to be positive that I am gay because his girlfriend and her two kids are moving in so I will be sharing a room with an other girl and I don't want that to change because my dad is scared some shit is going to happen. But I want to tell him and have him keep it a secret before he starts asking his girlfriend what she thinks. Please help!!! What should I do?

2. LinkLarkin

Since your dad has taken the attitude that "you're too young to be sure", I don't think you should be in a rush to tell him again as he isn't going to change his mind that easily. Wait for a little while until everything has settled down with the rest of your family and then try to brooch the subject with him again, when you think it's likely to cause less drama. I see you're out to your mother anyway - if your parents are still on good terms then you could ask her to help you speak to him about it.

3. rjrh20

Thank you I think that I will wait until everyone is settled in and we are at a new house where I do not share a room with an other girl. Also I think that I am going to ask my mom for help when I decide to tell him. Thank you for the idea.