1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The family dilemma!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Olli, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Olli

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys :slight_smile:
    So I'm out to some of my friends, and I keep thinking I should tell my family. I know my parents will support me, we are a Christian family but very liberal and I have a gay uncle who is fully accepted by my parents. However I'm really bad at talking about personal things with adults - I get really embarrassed and I'm not looking forward to talking to them after! I also don't know HOW to do it. I have two brothers, aged 13 and 5, and I really don't know how they'll take it or handle it or understand it.

The other problem is my grandma. She is one of my favourite people in the world, and I love her to bits. She takes good care of our family and is so proud of me and my brothers. When my uncle came out she wasn't pleased and really didn't get on with him and his partner for quite a while. Now she gets on with them but I don't think she fully accepts them. She is not a homophobe - she would never call them faggot or actually discriminate, but because of how she was brought up, she doesn't really like it all that much. How do I tackle this issue? I really don't want to a divide between us.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2. LinkLarkin

Hi there,

You seem to be most comfortable with your parents so I would suggest speaking to them about it first. There's no requirement to make a formal announcement to everybody at once if you don't want to.

If your parents react well, which seems likely from what you've written, then maybe ask their advice about telling the rest of your family. I don't want to tell you to keep secrets if you don't want to, but you seem uneasy about telling your brothers and grandmother for various reasons and it is entirely possible that your parents will agree with those reasons and think it best that you keep it between you until you can think of a good way to tell everybody else with their support.

Just take your time! There's nothing wrong with coming out gradually instead of all at once, and your parents may even find it easier to digest if you speak to them about it privately. I hope this is of some help!