1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it necessary for me to ever come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by person57, Jul 7, 2013.

1. person57

When I was in 7th grade, I realised I was bi. I tried to hold in the secret, but I couldn't. I couldn't tell my family because my dad and brother are homophobic, however, even though my mom accepts it I was still too scared to tell. But I told my best friend and I trusted her, but she broke my trust. She told everybody she knew. She told her mom and her mom told my mom. Now here is where I made the huge mistake, I lied to my mom and told her I was straight and I was just confused. I also told everybody else who knew the same thing, because i did get bullied in school. Now I'm about to go to 9th grade and I'm wondering if I should ever come out. Please reply to this. I would really appreciate it.

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That must be tough to deal with that terrible situation at such a young age. Betrayal of trust is one of the most terrible things you can experience. You have to realize that not everybody will react negatively to you coming out to them.

That said, it's your choice when and how to come out.

3. Batman is swag

First of all, I'm really sorry that your friend betrayed you. KyleD said it all for me. It's up to you. For your family, I would start with coming out to your mom. It worked for me.

Best of luck to ya =)

4. person57

5. LD579

We can't give you a yes or a no. This is something you have to decide for yourself... Coming out at some point, though, is a good step to take, and relieves the pressure of hiding an important aspect of yourself. If you think you'd be aversely affected by coming out, then it might make sense for you to wait before coming out, if that's what you choose to do. This is something that should, many times, be dealt with on a case-to-case basis.

6. BadCanadaJoke

It would be nice if we lived in a world that's open to diversity but for the most of us it's not like that... I come from a very weird environnement and realized I was gay while studying abroad in Europe(this year)... The environnement here is much more accepting because people are more open minded....
    If you feel like your parents love you,which I'm sure they do, you should try to educate them.... Give them books to read,doctor Phil-like shows to watch and show them what the scientific community has to say on the matter,how it's not a choice etc etc.

This is a part of who you are and the people you love should know about it. However considering the young of you age you should also think of your well-being... When people feel like they wouldn't receive acceptance from the get-go they should probably try to come out when they are independant and can provide for themselves... You shouuld be in a place,if you fear for the worst (because let's not kid ourselves the worst can happen and something bad has already happened in your case) you should be in a place where no one's negative reaction should be able to damage you in any way.

I have pointed out several different things since there are many things to consider when coming out.... Think about it... Think about your potential actions and don't make any rush decisions... I'd love to hear more from you,
    John

#6 BadCanadaJoke, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  7. biggayguy

The main thing I'm concerned about is you being another gay teenager forced to live on the streets if things go badly with your family. If you're certain your folks won't ask you to leave then yes, do come out. If you're really not sure then I would wait until I had a plan to stay warm, dry and fed.

8. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

9. jp97

you should wait until you are ready and prepared for what ever happens after you come out and when that time comes you should come out but, if that time never comes it's alright it is your decision and no one can force you.