1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make a coming out letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. I was thinking over the past week about coming out to my close friends and the recent friends I've made around a few states. I'm thinking of sending them a letter because it would be kind of hard to get them all in one room and tell them upfront. I was thinking of coming out by using the private messaging on Facebook.

I tried to do that before, but I couldn't create a letter that would explain what I needed to ell them, plus I felt uneasy and scared to do it at that time. I feel at least confident to do that now. One of my friends says if I feel comfortable enough then I can do it, but she warned me that I might face some severe reactions from a couple of friends though.

How would I actually construct a letter to my friends explaining what I need to tell them anyhow? It's kind of hard to do it.

2. rjrh20

I don't know anything about coming out to friends with a letter but I did come out to my mom in a letter. I basically just said you might of known I was gay or questioned it in the back of your mind and I hope this doesn't affect our relationship.

3. gavguy

gavguy Guest

You have to try and put your true inner feelings down explaining things as much as possible and also how worried you are at coming out for fear of rejection.
    It's natural for people to be a bit shocked or answer questions at first when they find out,but this soon passes and it's only then by the people that stand by you do you know your true friends and people who you can trust.
    If they have a problem with it then it's their problem and not yours, you should be able to enjoy life and be accepted no matter your gender. Good luck and keep posting

4. biggayguy

5. My Simple Song

Out Status:
    Some people
    i have come out to 2 people (that i knew really well [a year plus of close friendship and gauging reactions]) over a Facebook message that simply stated "ask me a single question that you have always wanted to ask me" and this is what i wrote in my text response to their question "What is your deepest secret?"... "Ok [person's name], I will tell you my most closely guarded secret... I'm bisexual... Meaning that i can have feeling for and like both sexes... im still the same [my name] that you used to know and i hope your homophobic but this is who i am... While it may be a bit of a shock, I'm sure that you saw that there was something different about me... Well now you know... I had my reservations about telling you this but i trust you enough for you to keep this a secret"

I just stood on my soapbox :soapbox: and just flat out told them, i'd have to admit that i was nervous as all hell to tell them but i simply had to tell them and it was the best opportunity that i had. I answered a couple of questions but they were happy that i had trusted them enough to tell them. While I have only come out to about 9 people in my life and am not ready to fully come out yet (not including how many times i have come out anonymously), i have received nothing but positive feedback from my friends and the few family members that i told, just choose carefully who you tell, gauge their reaction of current events to see if they are gay/lesbian/bisexual friendly... I'm not sure how well you know these people or how open you are about your sexuality but if you think they are not homophobic then i say go for it...

I sincerely hoped this helped, but i would suggest something a bit more personal than facebook, such as text or even email in order to tell them if getting them all in the same room together is impossible...