1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm worried my friends' will act differently around me once i come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by logos, Jul 9, 2013.

1. logos

Hello everyone! I would really like to come out to some of my friends. I'm almost positive they'll be accepting. The only thing that is stopping me is that I don't want our relationship to change or our friendship will regress or something. Are these even reasonable fears?

2. Lassa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course these are reasonable fears. We all worry that people will treat us differently when we change their perspective of us. Whether that means coming out of the closet or informing them of ill health or anything like that. But just because people look at us differently doesn't always mean it's a bad thing. The could see you as a brave person and that's not bad at all. If you think they will be accepting, maybe you should just start with one friend. See how they take it and ask their advice.

3. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Well if you tell them and they are not supportive, then you will have realised that they are not true friends. True friends will stick by you no matter what. Good luck

4. LiquidSwords

I worried a lot about this too but it hasn't been my experience at all. There's no reason that just because you like girls you're necessarily attracted to the girls you're friends with and as long as you don't give them that impression then it shouldn't be awkward between you and your friends.

I actually feel much closer to the friends I've told because it feels like I'm finally being honest with them, I'm not constantly worried about getting awkward questions about girls so can be more relaxed around them and I've trusted them by telling them something important which I think has made us closer.

I'd be sad to hear of anyone who didn't feel as comfortable after they came out to their friends as they did before but I think for most people this definitely isn't the case.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Real, true friends will love you regardless. They might take a little while to think and readjust their schema of you... but they'll come back just as strong as ever.

Friends who treat you differently because you're gay aren't real friends.

6. My Simple Song

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, these are perfectly natural fears, that almost everyone has when coming out. You can always print out pamphlets from PFLAG about being lesbian (to give to your friends if you are too emotional to answer their questions afterwards) or other resources if you still feel insecure and need a little help. Granted if they are accepting and have internalized homophobia they might feel awkward around you for a couple of days but things will go back to normal after a while and who knows, one of your friends might be closeted too (I found out that a friend was pansexual that way). And most close friends who you come out to will actually become closer to you now that you have revealed that part of your life to them rather then shutting them out.

7. Thegreatperhaps

Have you ever discussed your views on the LGBT community as a group? If they've expressed their support or positivity towards it, then don't worry. I hid my sexuality from my closest friends for almost 4 years. The fear is understandable, we always want our friends to love and accept us no matter what and the idea of that changing is rather scary. But when I actually did come out, it was no big deal. A little surprise should be expected and is natural because they've had a certain idea of us that we haven't attempted to correct until now, but that's all really. If they're truly your friends, they'll see that it changes absolutely nothing. And the relief afterwards- finally being able to be yourself with them- oh, it's the best. So worth it.
    I wish you the best. :slight_smile:

8. Kamina

I worry about this too. My friends have bad habits of stereotyping people and I don't want to become the "lesbian" friend who is expected to fit into those stereotypes etc. or for them to feel weird because we do/have changed together/slept in the same bed/etc. I think soke of them may be weirded out by it. I think it's a perfectly reasonable fear but my hope is that they eventually will get over it. And if not then I guess it's their loss. :/

9. misssunshine91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can totally understand you, I'm feeling the same way... Only my mum and my two very best friends know until now...
    My friends and I often hug each other, cuddle or kiss each other for comfort (that kissing on the head thing, not real kissing :grin: ), I'm afraid that's what would change, that they would think too much about how I feel with this...
    Some make jokes about "Hey come on, if we don't find a man soon, why don't we become lesbian, haha"... That's okay for me 'cause I'm pretty sure they'd accept my sexuality, and I don't have any problems with them joking about themselves, but I'm afraid they would feel embarassed...
    So yeah, I know what you mean.. But really, if they are real friends, they'll love you no matter what!!

10. rjrh20

Im having the same problem, but I just reassure myself that any true friend values you relationship whether you are gay, straight, buy, trans, queer, panasexual, asexual or anything sexually oriented. If they don't accept you than they are wrong and do not deserve to be your friend anyways.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're totally reasonable fears.
    In point of fact people might act a little..off at first but they'll get over it.
    We all went through this fear so don't beat yourself up about it.

12. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your not alone with that one, I feel like this too it a scary feeling they will change just because you admit who you really are.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If that is your only worry you choose friends poorly. :slight_smile:

A good friend sticks by you for good, bad and thick and thin.

If you lose one due to your sexuality you lost nothing, you lost fantasy, you lost make believe.

That is the truth of it. Friends love you anything else is an acquaintance.

Just my opinion.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like this quote:

Always be yourself. Because the people that don't mind, matter. And the people that mind, don't matter.

15. ScatteredEarth

Although I KNOW this has to have been said a couple times above me; Be yourself and if you feel you are ready to tell your friends about who you truly are, just know that true friends will not abandon you or treat you like some diseased dog just because of your sexual attractions, and if they do, they weren't your real friends to begin with, they were just hangout buddies.