1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i come out to my sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GuinniePiggie09, Jul 9, 2013.

1. GuinniePiggie09

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a lesbian who's been in the closet for about a year and i really want to tell my sister, who i'm really close with that i'm gay, but i'm terrified that she'll see me differently or tell my incredibly homophobic mother. Currently I live with my verbally abusive, schizophrenic brother and my parents. I just don't know what to do anymore, i'm going out of my mind with stress and the fear that i'll be outed before i'm ready. Please help.

2. rena

our stories are identical minus the brother, mine was kicked out. That's besides the point, im not sure how much help this will be. This morning i plucked up the courage and came out to my sister. i was worried she'd act differently. After i told her she said how she still loves me and that she accepts me. We hung out for the rest of the day and things were exactly the same as they've always been.
    Maybe your sister will be the same, especially if you as close as you say.
    the only thing my sister said is that she was a bit annoyed i had only just told her, because we were so close she felt she should of known-so i just let her know it wasn't her i just wasn't ready (she also promised not to tell our mum:slight_smile: )

3. suninthesky

Your sister might be a wonderful person to find support in. I would be careful with her feelings though. From talking with people that have been in your sister's position, you are relieved of a burden, but your sister would start to carry some too. I'm not saying you shouldn't talk to her, by all means. It would probably make your relationship stronger; just be mindful of her situation too.

4. GuinniePiggie09

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you guys, i really appreciate the help. I am really nervous but i think I'm going to as soon as i get the chance, my sister really enjoys jokes and humorous things, are there any funny ways to come out?