1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Would You Describe Yourself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PurpleRose, Jul 9, 2013.

1. PurpleRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been reading about sexuality and identities. So if someone asked you and you felt comfortable, what would you say?

I am wondering if my answer is a bit weird. I am bisexual, a female married to a man but I feel attracted to woman but I see myself more as 'gay'. I feel more comfortable telling people I am gay then bisexual. Maybe because bisexual to some people is neither here nor there...gay on the other hand is more of a open and acceptable term and used in everyday speech. I do know that would confuse people. If I tell people I am gay, then they will think lesbian not bisexual. Which is normal. It's strange when you think about it because in order to be bisexual you have to have some gay feelings, so it's not completely strange that I am more comfortable with gay.

I haven't actually told anyone besides my husband. I am just curious to here what other people have to say. And then maybe in the future, when the subject comes up with someone I trust I can tell them a good answer I am confortable with.

PurpleRose

2. 800xcrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Initially, I used to say that I was bisexual. The reason is I think one day I will still try and marry a women and have children and a "normal" relationship, mostly for family purposes. I still find women attractive, and still know what I would want in a wife if I ever do marry. But, I feel little to no real sexual attraction for women, which ultimately lead me to classify myself as gay. I think Alicia Keys is the most beautiful woman I've seen, but I could not see myself marrying her or having a sexual relationship! I've come to the conclusion that I think of women the same way that a straight girl does: she recognizes that they're attractive, but don't want anything to come from it. Also, one of the first friends I told, I told him I was bisexual, and he said "bisexuality doesn't exist, so you're gay." That was a great start to my identity!

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I was ever asked, or in a situation where I felt it necessary to discuss it at all, I'd say I'm a transmasculine guy, or maybe an ftm, if they found that too confusing. I have a hard time saying I'm a man, maybe because I'm pre-everything, but I know I'm not a girl in any sense of the word, and I definitely feel more male in my head as far back as I can remember than I ever felt female in my entire life. I might say I'm a bit effeminate if the other side of the conversation insisted they read me as feminine (which has happened in every conversation I've had on the matter so far, except the one with my ex - he's the most understanding and least judgemental person I've talked to about this so far). There's a distinction there for me - women are feminine, guys are not. And if it came to sexuality, I'd probably tell them I'm gay, I think. I won't deny being a little into girls, but only very little, and I'm so awkward around women, and intimidated, I can't imagine dating one. I do like guys though, very much, so I guess that makes me gay?

I really can't imagine actually going through a conversation like this though. I'm really awkward as it is, and not the best at talking, and I imagine there would be a lot more questions, some of them too personal for me to really know what to say. I think most people would be very confused by me at best. I avoid these things as much as I possibly can.

Honestly, I don't think your answer is weird at all, definitely makes more sense than mine does. I understand you completely. I could see how people would find it strange that you're gay and married to a man though. People really need to start accepting bisexuality more, and they need to understand that marriage doesn't change attraction.

4. Batman is swag

If I'm comfortable with the person, then "I'm gayer than a rainbow, duh!" would be my reply. If it's someone I don't really know, then it's none of their goshdarned business.

5. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

Except marrying a woman this is just like me, all the way to the friend who thinks bisexuality doesn't exist. Ironically she is a lesbian who says she is also attracted to metro guys.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I tend to think of myself as a transman or rather, to be a bit more accurate, as a man-in-progress. Haven't gotten to the point where I've been able to call myself a man without question, but I know I'm sure as hell not a woman and never want to be seen as one again if I can help it.

As far as my sexuality... I have no idea anymore. Since I'm not out as a transman, I tend to tell whoever asks that I'm a lesbian, even though I doubt my attraction to women is as strong as I make it out to be. So I suppose I'm a bisexual, though I suspect I'm gay leaning... Maybe outright gay but too soon to say.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well I'm gay and don't mind labeling myself as such so I'd say that like it is. Only place I really don't have any intention of letting people know my sexuality is work which that will never be relevant there so I'm not worried about it. I do want to find a different job asap anyways. If it's a random stranger who asked while that would be unexpected and dont really see it happening =o I wouldn't mind telling them. no skin off my nose what somebody I'll probably never interact with again thinks of me~

8. Mhin

I dont like any labeled thing. I am me :slight_smile:

9. My Simple Song

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly outright about my sexuality only to someone i know really well, but i would say I see myself as a bisexual male leaning gay, I have come out to friends like this and it is not because im afraid to take on the gay label it is because i have come to realize that I like both sexes but favor one slightly more then other. While biphobia is much more rampant then homophobia it takes brave people in order to break the stigma that we are all the same way. While I like to think of myself as functional gay when in a homosexual relationship and functional straight when in a heterosexual relationship, i am fairly sure that I am bi leaning gay, but only time will tell.

#9 My Simple Song, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever anyone asks, I always say "I'm a Pan, duh." and then when they inevitably get confused, I specify by saying I'm Pangender/sexual. I've got no preference one way or another and I'm not attracted to any specific gender over another. Even though, by appearance, I am easily identifiable as a male, I'm not male or female or anything else (not sure where the differentiation between that and Agender, but I'm working on it).

11. AKTodd

I'm gay. I've told people before being asked, when asked, or just by inference when I talk about my partner the way they talk about their spouse or SO. My boss and all my coworkers know, my friends all know, and most of my family knows with the exception of two members who everyone else agrees would take it very badly and who I'm not around enough to make it worth the bother (although if they ever say something homophobic in my hearing, things will get very interesting very quickly).

Todd

12. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
  13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a FABULOUS sexy man.

14. bagginses

bagginses Guest

Me, we'll I wouldn't mind sleeping with a really hot girl like Lana del Rey but you gotta be that good. On the other hand, if your a guy, I search your personality wise. I (weirdly enough) like the overly clingy guys.

So I would say I can't find a partner comparable girl, but a one night stand with one would be alright with me. For a guy, if you have an ugly personality with a face of an angel then your unattractive to me. I'm not sure if people note that as bisexual but I claim myself as gay. Gay just feels a little more comfortable.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm a nonbinary trans person, but in discussion, I would likely say I'm a transgender male, and I go by male pronouns. If this person were educated on gender identity, then I would take it a step further and reveal my genderqueer-ness and how I prefer ze/hir gender-neutral, or him/him male pronouns. My sexuality can basically be wrapped up with, "I can develop romantic feelings for people of all genders, though I'm primarily attracted to femininity and girls, but I'm only sexually attracted to women."

I wish there were a way for non-binary folk to blend in without erasing their own identities, but unfortunately we're no where near there yet, so, I'd have to come forth as a transman.

16. PurpleRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My therapist actually sees me as being pansexual. But honestly, until I started looking into how I view my sexuailty I had never heard that word before so I am not expecting normal straight people too.

I still feel comfortable with gay. If I was comfortable enough to admit I was bisexual too someone then I would probably feel comfortable enough to say how I am more comfortable with a sort of gay woman...I do like women, which are 'gay' feeling and I do like men which are 'straight' feelings.

I am over-thinking all this but it's so nice to figure out. I would rather figure out my feelings then ignore they are there.

17. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I would describe myself as Gay for certain - I am very caring, loyal and friendly who always put's other people before myself.
    I am sensitive and shy at first, loving but I do find being this type of nature people tend to walk all over me.
    If someone does upset me though then I am not frightened to tell them what I think and my character changes from a shy individual to a confident fighter.
    Yes I have been hurt quite a bit in the past, but it's of my trusting nature

18. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I understand what you are saying. I grew up a misfit and when i discovered i was bisexual i really tried hard to be entirely gay. Just for the sense of belonging.

19. jp97

I'm a kind caring gay individual.

20. PurpleRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My husband called me gay. Something like 'Wow, my wife is gay!'

At first I was stunned. And confused. I still don't know what to feel. Gay sounds so...I mean if I told anybody that, they would probably think I am lesbain and my marriage is fake.

The only person I am 'out' too is my therapist and my husband.