1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out? LONG

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mattygirl, Jul 9, 2013.

1. mattygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm pretty new and not so new to this.

My first crush was my girl neighbor. She was my best friends older sister. At the time I didn't know that was different. It didn't stop. I didn't find guys attractive.
    I know my family though. So I hide, fought, and denied it for YEARS.

I'm 23 and I'm just not accepting myself for who I am. I am a lesbian and I'm learning to love myself. I hated myself for a long time. I had a lot of one night stands with guys in high school trying to be anything but me. It didn't work but I was blessed with a now four year old child because of it.

My ex best friend helped me come to terms with who I am.

The only problem is telling my family. It scares me so bad. I have major depression and I didn't think I could handle the rejection. I started off with telling really close friends, friends on FB ( I blocked all fam and fam friends from seeing the status), a close cousin, and finally my brothers girlfriend.

I was talking to her today about meeting up with a girl I met online. Turns out she saw the status I made and in turn my brother saw it on her news feed three weeks ago. He never mentioned it to me. She told me she told him what we were talking about but he knew I liked girls because of the status. She told me he thinks it's cool.

My brother thinks it's cool. My brother accepts me. My brother used to physically abuse me and we have never had a close relationship, I'd do anything in the world for him but he doesn't show any support or love towards me...until tonight. I went in his room and asked if we're cool and he said we are. He accepts me.

I just don't know how to come out to my parents. My mom is one of those that believes 'gays should be together but don't call it a marriage" :bang: About once a month we go round and round about that. I'm more nervous about her reaction. I don't want things to change between us. I want her to love and accept me. I want her to be my advocate. I want her to accept any future partners I have.

Any advice on coming out to my parents?

2. FindingMyself

I don't know anything about your father and his possible reactions, but if that's bound to be bad then I would stress to your mom that you don't want him to know. It sounds like while your mom may have her reservations she'd be okay with it. There are a lot of anti-gays out there who are completely conditional-they really aren't okay with something until it applies to someone they're related to.

3. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is scary; I know. :frowning2: I totally get it. I would say that if the subject of guys comes up, or the subject of sex or anything related to sex ... maybe you could drop a hint?